Mac OS X guest

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
ubuntu-user

Post by ubuntu-user »

It appears possible to get a native vdi version running.

These results are not bad for a virtualised version of OSX, even if these tests don't include the graphics.

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=258888
duncanparsons

Post by duncanparsons »

Just tried again with 1.5.4 to no avail :(

Running VB on XPSP2, I tried both an install, and running from a tried and tested vmdk with 10.4.8 JAS on it. played with various settings, but nothing doing at the mo.

I notice the guy who's run the test was using linux base, so maybe there's an issue with how VB and the underlying OS interact with VM'ing..

I'd prefer to use VB, I must say! It would be handy if vdis could be split into manageable sections in the same way vmdks can - I keep a handful of VMs on a FAT32 USB drive so I can do development work pretty much anywhere - If I set up a vdi to be larger than 4GB, then FAT32 can no longer hold it... or is there something I've missed?

DSP
marcosscriven

Post by marcosscriven »

I'm getting the very same errors - would REALLY like a solution to this!

It would be great to be able to run Leopard in a VM...
sirbender

Post by sirbender »

Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Yes, but:
a) You should post what you have read. (Use scanner)
b) I do not read German, so somebody else will need to translate it to English.
c) It sounds interesting

Remember: To have Mac OS X guest support - we need to overcome both political and technological barriers. As my nick name suggests, I'm better at solving second type of problems :)

-Technologov
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this being implemeted. You can install Linux on Mac Hardware if you wish and run Mac OS X as a guest. How in the world is this wrong?
Phobos
Volunteer

Post by Phobos »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this being implemeted. You can install Linux on Mac Hardware if you wish and run Mac OS X as a guest. How in the world is this wrong?
yes, that is what vmware and parallels say and it complies with apple's EULA, so there's no political barrier and as has been done by Alexander Graf, the technological barrier shouldn't be too hard either and he can help :P .... if you check his page, you will see that one of his goal is getting Mac OS X as guest on XEN and VBox (he already did it for standard Qemu and Qemu/KVM)

this is a logical step for VBox to follow, like vmware and parallels did

cheers!
Last edited by Phobos on 7. Mar 2008, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

update:
I have found the blog:
http://alex.csgraf.de/self/

-Technologov
Last edited by Technologov on 7. Mar 2008, 15:47, edited 2 times in total.
Phobos
Volunteer

Post by Phobos »

I don't have a link to his blog (don't know if he has one..).

the links I know are the previously posted projects page http://alex.csgraf.de/self/?qemu/ and the page about emulating os x at the 24C3 site http://events.ccc.de/congress/2007/EmulatingOSX
Googie

Post by Googie »

1.6.0 released and it seems that nothing changed here. Is this (support for Mac) still planned? Anytime soon?
Beefdude

Post by Beefdude »

Yeah, I've tried this too but couldn't get anything from it.

When I read about PAE being added I really got my hopes up too :( It doesn't get further than before however, I now just get a black screen after the boot prompt, alas passing -v doesn't help since it clears the screen of anything useful that might be there.
S.SubZero
Volunteer

Post by S.SubZero »

I doubt OS X guest support could happen anytime soon even if they wanted it. To support a retail disc would involve faking the EFI and whatever protections Apple implements (Don't Steal OS X.kext) to prevent running on unauthorized hardware, which Apple probably would not like much. Supporting an OSX86 distro would probably not fly too well either.

There is currently an OS X image that works in VMWare, but it's slow and very hacked to work. There's limited graphics support (no QE/CI) and really it's more of a cute curiosity than anything really usable. Needless to say it's also very against Apple's ToS.

Current the OS X version of Vbox is fairly behind on features, so I vote on getting that stuff caught up before pursuing anything really crazy. I want my internal networking!
gene91

Still Not Working

Post by gene91 »

Beefdude wrote:Yeah, I've tried this too but couldn't get anything from it.

When I read about PAE being added I really got my hopes up too :( It doesn't get further than before however, I now just get a black screen after the boot prompt, alas passing -v doesn't help since it clears the screen of anything useful that might be there.
I got something similar. When opened PAE, I got a black screen and after that a critical error message from VB.

Hoping to have it work.

And since we can install Windows on some Mac labelled computers, giving out a VM which support Mac as guest and Windows as host won't be illegal, will it?
S.SubZero
Volunteer

Re: Still Not Working

Post by S.SubZero »

gene91 wrote:And since we can install Windows on some Mac labelled computers, giving out a VM which support Mac as guest and Windows as host won't be illegal, will it?
That's.. not a good argument. Of course you can "install Windows on some Mac labelled computers"... Apple themselves *made it happen*. You do still need to own Windows though.

Apple is a hardware company. Their profit is in hardware. They sell Macs, iPods, iPhones, peripherals, accessories, Mighty Mouses, whatever. That's their bread and butter, and it's how they stay in business. OS X is a beautiful, sleek operating system that is designed to sell Macs. They are made for each other, quite literally.

Microsoft is a software company. Their profit is in software. They sell Windows, Office, SQL Server, and other software solutions. That's their bread and butter, and it's how they stay in business. Windows does not favor any specific PC maker's platform (intentionally) and MS is always open to squeezing Windows on anything it will fit on, regardless of who makes it.

Microsoft has no problem with people running Windows on a Mac, since more Windows licenses = more $$$. Apple has problems with people running OS X on anything BUT a Mac, since less Macs sold = less $$$.
davels

Post by davels »

Technologov wrote:Try to read again.
Disable ACPI, both in VBox and in guest, and enable Intel VT. If your CPU doesn't have VT, it won't work.
Disable ACPI in guest is VBox? Or ACPI must be stopped in VBox and host?
If I try to remove ACPI in bios, Windows doesn't start anymore :/
Any idea?