Mac OS X guest

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
takwing
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: winxp, Leopard, Snow Leopard, , Win7, ubuntu 9.10

Re: Mac OS X guest

Post by takwing »

duralumin wrote:Hi everyone,

I was able to install iPC OSX 10.5.6 (Leopard) on VB 3.1.4 with Win 7 x64 as Host. Here is my setup for VB :
Proc : 1 CPU (was able to run 2 CPU but take a lot of CPU resource on Host)
System : IO-APIC enabled, PAE enabled, VT enabled, Nested Paging enabled
Video : 3D acceleration enabled
Storage : ICH6 controller
Net : Bridged to Local, Intel PRO/1000 Desktop
added code :
<ExtraDataItem name="CustomVideoMode1" value="1440x900x32">
+<string>"Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32"</string> in com.apple.Boot.plist
<ExtraDataItem name="VirtualBoxInternal2/Devices/0/1000e/Trusted" value="1">
<ExtraDataItem name="VirtualBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on">

everything is working except sound. network needs manual connect/disconnect cable and MAC address setup.
mouse a bit laggy (not all the time though)
Is it possible to do something as a 'Guest Addition' substitution for the OSX guest to improve?

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried using "Bridged adapter, Intel PRO/1000 MT Server" in your virtual machine settings?
This is the one that I use to run Leopard or Snow Leopard and it works perfectly! (I cannot have Intel PRO/1000 Desktop connected successfylly too.)
come and visit my technical page:
http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/index.php
ph0enix
Guest OSses: Gentoo, FreeBSD, Haiku, Windwos XP, ReactOS, OpenSolaris

Post by ph0enix »

duralumin wrote:Hi everyone,

I was able to install iPC OSX 10.5.6 (Leopard) on VB 3.1.4 with Win 7 x64 as Host. Here is my setup for VB :
Proc : 1 CPU (was able to run 2 CPU but take a lot of CPU resource on Host)
System : IO-APIC enabled, PAE enabled, VT enabled, Nested Paging enabled
Video : 3D acceleration enabled
Storage : ICH6 controller
Net : Bridged to Local, Intel PRO/1000 Desktop
added code :
<ExtraDataItem name="CustomVideoMode1" value="1440x900x32">
<ExtraDataItem name="VirtualBoxInternal2/Devices/0/1000e/Trusted" value="1">
<ExtraDataItem name="VirtualBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on">

everything is working except sound. network needs manual connect/disconnect cable and MAC address setup.
mouse a bit laggy (not all the time though)
Is it possible to do something as a 'Guest Addition' substitution for the OSX guest to improve?

Thanks in advance.
Would you mind posting your actual config? I set the same options as you've listed and I'm not getting anywhere. If I boot in verbose mode, the system just freezes after the following line:

ACPI CA 20051117 [debug level=0 layer=0]

I'm also on VB 3.1.4/Windows 7 x64.

Thank you!
iassael
Primary OS: MS Windows 2008
Guest OSses: MacOS, Ubuntu Karmic

Post by iassael »

Hello!
I am on win7 x64 with virtualbox 3.1.2 and for some reason using bridge adapter and MT Sever card i have internet on Leo... but on Snow i only can access the localnetwork within the computer... any suggestions?
thanks!
duralumin
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: LINUX, WINDOWS

Post by duralumin »

New post by fridaystreet » 12. Mar 2010, 00:38
Let me know if you get any further
Will surely do bro ... :)
New post by takwing » 12. Mar 2010, 01:43
Have you tried using "Bridged adapter, Intel PRO/1000 MT Server" in your virtual machine settings?
This is the one that I use to run Leopard or Snow Leopard and it works perfectly! (I cannot have Intel PRO/1000 Desktop connected successfylly too.)
Tried that one just now but was not working. Network still need some manual things to do. Have you done some patches to your VB? (the one with VBoxDD3.dll)
Thanks for your suggestion anyway.
New post by ph0enix » 12. Mar 2010, 06:34
Would you mind posting your actual config? I set the same options as you've listed and I'm not getting anywhere. If I boot in verbose mode, the system just freezes after the following line:
ACPI CA 20051117 [debug level=0 layer=0]
I'm also on VB 3.1.4/Windows 7 x64.
I'm not an expert so i won't be able to tell what raise the problem. But i did forget to mention to setup Operating System BSD, version FreeBSD for your OSX. And also please verify to add the ExtraDataItems things to your YourMachineName.xml file in your Machines folder not the VirtualBox.xml one (Someone did this kind of stupid mistake....Oh well, I did.... :)).Hopefully that would solve your problem.
New post by iassael » 12. Mar 2010, 09:55
Hello!
I am on win7 x64 with virtualbox 3.1.2 and for some reason using bridge adapter and MT Sever card i have internet on Leo... but on Snow i only can access the localnetwork within the computer... any suggestions?
*There are some patches for your VB especially when you are installing Snow. You might want to have a look at the discussion from 'our relatives' page.
Note : I haven't tried to apply those patches to my Leopard yet.*
*) Edited to :
Not this time yet. I'm really sorry for that.
iassael

Post by iassael »

i have the patches and changed the xml........
takwing

Post by takwing »

Dear all,

To thank all who have helped me in setting up Leopard and Snow Leopard, I plan to document the whole process (with screen dump) so that those who want to try SL can take it as a reference.

The first part, setting up the VM in VB is completed. It is located in: http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/index.php

Take a look and if you spot anything missing / wrong, please let me know.

Wing
ph0enix

Post by ph0enix »

duralumin wrote: I'm not an expert so i won't be able to tell what raise the problem. But i did forget to mention to setup Operating System BSD, version FreeBSD for your OSX. And also please verify to add the ExtraDataItems things to your YourMachineName.xml file in your Machines folder not the VirtualBox.xml one (Someone did this kind of stupid mistake....Oh well, I did.... :)).Hopefully that would solve your problem.
I have tried setting the OS to FreeBSD - that was my first thought ...then I tried a bunch of other systems and it didn't make a difference. I have the extra items in the machine's config file. I would love to see a complete config though since some things in your post are a bit off. For example, the 3 ExtraDataItem lines should be:

Code: Select all

<ExtraDataItem name="CustomVideoMode1" value="1440x900x32"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VirtualBoxInternal2/Devices/0/1000e/Trusted" value="1"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VirtualBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>
...instead of the way you had them posted. Otherwise the XML formatting is broken and the options get removed from the config file anyway then next time it gets saved.

I don't know where this line is supposed to go though:

I'm not getting far enough in order to be able to edit any plists but I'm guessing that at least the "+" doesn't belong there. This is why I would love to see an actual working config file. If you help me get to the point you're at, I may be able to do some experimenting and help you with your sound issue :)
JesusFreak316
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.10 Mac OSX Snow Leopard

Post by JesusFreak316 »

I can confirm that duralumin's steps work. After trying iAtkos, iDeneb, Deadmoo, and iPC, Deadmoo and iPC are the only ones that worked, but Deadmoo is ancient. I'm working on getting my SL retail disc installed.
iassael

Post by iassael »

ph0enix wrote:
duralumin wrote: I'm not an expert so i won't be able to tell what raise the problem. But i did forget to mention to setup Operating System BSD, version FreeBSD for your OSX. And also please verify to add the ExtraDataItems things to your YourMachineName.xml file in your Machines folder not the VirtualBox.xml one (Someone did this kind of stupid mistake....Oh well, I did.... :)).Hopefully that would solve your problem.
I have tried setting the OS to FreeBSD - that was my first thought ...then I tried a bunch of other systems and it didn't make a difference. I have the extra items in the machine's config file. I would love to see a complete config though since some things in your post are a bit off. For example, the 3 ExtraDataItem lines should be:

<ExtraDataItem name="CustomVideoMode1" value="1440x900x32"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VirtualBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>
...instead of the way you had them posted. Otherwise the XML formatting is broken and the options get removed from the config file anyway then next time it gets saved.

I don't know where this line is supposed to go though:

I'm not getting far enough in order to be able to edit any plists but I'm guessing that at least the "+" doesn't belong there. This is why I would love to see an actual working config file. If you help me get to the point you're at, I may be able to do some experimenting and help you with your sound issue :)

is it
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/e1000f/0/Trusted" value="integer:1"/>
or
????
ph0enix

Post by ph0enix »

I'm not sure. This guide has it your way:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofive ... 07334.html

I can't get the machine to start when I have it configured that way though.

BTW.
I was just talking about the XML syntax.
ph0enix

Post by ph0enix »

JesusFreak316 wrote:I can confirm that duralumin's steps work. After trying iAtkos, iDeneb, Deadmoo, and iPC, Deadmoo and iPC are the only ones that worked, but Deadmoo is ancient. I'm working on getting my SL retail disc installed.
What drivers did you use during the install?
JesusFreak316
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.10 Mac OSX Snow Leopard

Post by JesusFreak316 »

ph0enix wrote:
JesusFreak316 wrote:I can confirm that duralumin's steps work. After trying iAtkos, iDeneb, Deadmoo, and iPC, Deadmoo and iPC are the only ones that worked, but Deadmoo is ancient. I'm working on getting my SL retail disc installed.
The only kext I had to install is ps/2 drivers for my laptop to get the touchpad and keyboard to work. I just followed duralmin's steps exactly.
ph0enix

Post by ph0enix »

JesusFreak316 wrote:
ph0enix wrote:
The only kext I had to install is ps/2 drivers for my laptop to get the touchpad and keyboard to work. I just followed duralmin's steps exactly.
I must be missing somehting. What steps are you referring to? I don't see any installation procedure posted by duralumin - only the VM settings which aren't 100% correct. He mentions that he was able to install 10.5.6 from the iPC DVD but I don't see a way to do that unless you know how to enable SSE3 extensions in VB. Otherwise, you have to select the Voodoo 9.5 kernel which effectively gives you OS-X 10.5.5. The 9.6 Darwin kernel = 10.5.6.
There is too much information (or misinformation rather) relating to the topic. It's confusing.
duralumin
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: LINUX, WINDOWS

Post by duralumin »

New post by iassael » 13. Mar 2010, 01:29
is it
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/e1000f/0/Trusted" value="integer:1"/>
or
????
I use <ExtraDataItem name="VirtualBoxInternal2/Devices/0/1000e/Trusted" value="1"/>
Please note that i'm using Leopard, not SL. :)
New post by JesusFreak316 » 13. Mar 2010, 00:12
I can confirm that duralumin's steps work. After trying iAtkos, iDeneb, Deadmoo, and iPC, Deadmoo and iPC are the only ones that worked, but Deadmoo is ancient. I'm working on getting my SL retail disc installed.
Thanks bro. Isn't it great? :)

@ ph0enix
thanks for your correction. i missed those slash character. And yes, the '+' sign does not suppose to be there. I was trying to say it as an extra step you have to do (or write) to be able using your OSX in 1440 x 900 resolution.
Did you manage to get into the installation procedure? if you were correctly setup your VB then i guess there wouldn't be any problem to get there since the next step is a trial and error to install kexts. :)
I'll try to re-install later and make some logs for you as soon as i get back to home.
Thank you.
takwing

Post by takwing »

my page has been updated:

Now, the part on basic installation of Leopard is completed. When I need to compile further is "solving the cannot find keyboard problem" , "setting the resolution" and "getting the network done".

For the network, I find that actually we need to apply black trinitron's patch to get it works.

Take a look and if you spot anything missing / wrong, please let me know.