Mac OS X guest

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
mys7
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: osx

Re: Mac OS X guest

Post by mys7 »

takwing wrote:Dear Experts,

my guide on setting up SL in VB is completed!

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual_snowl/index.html

Appreciate if you can spend some time go through it and let me know if I need to add or correct anything.
May I take this chance to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and helping me when I encountered problems!

Wing
hi! i used your guide and everything goes fine. Anyway, even installing Kexts, i cannot boot directly from EFI... i still need EfiEmpire to boot.

it hangs here:

Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext...................
takwing
Guest OSses: winxp, Leopard, Snow Leopard, , Win7, ubuntu 9.10

Post by takwing »

mys7 wrote:

Appreciate if you can spend some time go through it and let me know if I need to add or correct anything.
May I take this chance to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and helping me when I encountered problems!

Wing
hi! i used your guide and everything goes fine. Anyway, even installing Kexts, i cannot boot directly from EFI... i still need EfiEmpire to boot.

it hangs here:

Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext...................
Did you enable VB's EFI option finally?
If you haven't enable that , you cannot boot up your SL VM that are prepared as in my guide.
And if you have enabled that option, you shouldn't be able to boot up even by using EFIEmpire (as EFIEmpire should be used for non-EFI environment).
come and visit my technical page:
http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/index.php
desperado_bxl
Guest OSses: WinXP, Ubuntu, Snow OSX, Solaris

Post by desperado_bxl »

Hi, takwing !

thank you for your guide, it helps me a lot.

I have to disable absolute pointing device because the mouse is not well captured.
But after enabling virtualbox EFI, the mouse is not captured.

Have you got the same problem ? It's minor problem, but I have to click many times before having a real click.

Sorry for my bad english.
mys7
Guest OSses: osx

Post by mys7 »

takwing wrote:
mys7 wrote:

Wing

it hangs here:

If you haven't enable that , you cannot boot up your SL VM that are prepared as in my guide.
And if you have enabled that option, you shouldn't be able to boot up even by using EFIEmpire (as EFIEmpire should be used for non-EFI environment).

yes, i installed Kexts then enabled VB efi. it boots, and it stuck at Extension.mkext loading.

i need to disable efi and boot with EfiEmpire to access my virtual machine.
joker535
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: OSX, Win7, Win VIsta, Win XP, Win server 2003 x64, CentOS 5.5

Post by joker535 »

Works pretty well for me. The audio is too choppy to use and I have to power off the VM after I choose shutdown from the OS but its not bad. I am running 3.2 beta on a ubuntu 10.04 64 bit host. Used the Empire EFI and the SL upgrade disk. Thanks to everyone who made this possible. Hope they get the audio worked out.
OSX VM
OSX VM
OSXinVBoxOnUbuntu10.04.png (125.99 KiB) Viewed 72008 times
JesusFreak316
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.10 Mac OSX Snow Leopard

Post by JesusFreak316 »

I just wanted to say that it works fine with EmpireEFI and a retail Snow Leopard Disk on Windows 7 and 3.2 beta 1. Internet works; haven't tried sound. Only problem I've encountered so far is that it crashes with the OSX "blue screen" after a while.
desperado_bxl
Guest OSses: WinXP, Ubuntu, Snow OSX, Solaris

Post by desperado_bxl »

JesusFreak316 wrote:I just wanted to say that it works fine with EmpireEFI and a retail Snow Leopard Disk on Windows 7 and 3.2 beta 1. Internet works; haven't tried sound. Only problem I've encountered so far is that it crashes with the OSX "blue screen" after a while.
Maybe it's caused by the power management, you can try to remove the hibernate.
takwing

Post by takwing »

desperado_bxl wrote:Hi, takwing !

thank you for your guide, it helps me a lot.

I have to disable absolute pointing device because the mouse is not well captured.
But after enabling virtualbox EFI, the mouse is not captured.

Have you got the same problem ? It's minor problem, but I have to click many times before having a real click.

Sorry for my bad english.
Glad to hear that my guide can help you.

I don't have such a problem in capturing the mouse.
Anyway, it seems to me that this is the only way to have mouse working after enabling VB's EFI.
takwing

Post by takwing »

JesusFreak316 wrote:I just wanted to say that it works fine with EmpireEFI and a retail Snow Leopard Disk on Windows 7 and 3.2 beta 1. Internet works; haven't tried sound. Only problem I've encountered so far is that it crashes with the OSX "blue screen" after a while.
Don't expect sound to work unless you install the audio driver.
You can refer to my tech page for details:
http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/ ... in_SL.html
takwing

Post by takwing »

joker535 wrote:Works pretty well for me. The audio is too choppy to use and I have to power off the VM after I choose shutdown from the OS but its not bad. I am running 3.2 beta on a ubuntu 10.04 64 bit host. Used the Empire EFI and the SL upgrade disk. Thanks to everyone who made this possible. Hope they get the audio worked out.
OSXinVBoxOnUbuntu10.04.png
there is already a working audio driver.
takwing

Post by takwing »

mys7 wrote:

yes, i installed Kexts then enabled VB efi. it boots, and it stuck at Extension.mkext loading.

i need to disable efi and boot with EfiEmpire to access my virtual machine.[/quote]

what kext files have you installed? Did you install the Chameleon boot loader?
takwing

Post by takwing »

desperado_bxl wrote:
Maybe it's caused by the power management, you can try to remove the hibernate.
To make thing simple, I think we can also installed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

For the details, please visit:
http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/ ... page6.html
killer54291
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: mac os x

Post by killer54291 »

So I am currently running Snow Leopard 10.6.3. I am attempting to use virtualbox to use leopard. it is vanilla, called leopard.cdr, i ripped myself. When I try to run it in mac os x with a little over 3 gb of ram and 4 processors and 32 bit, i get this:

when I try the same thing, but 64 bit, i just get a black screen. The first time i tried doing this i think i did 64 bit and it gave me

Code: Select all

Unkown4 of GetVar called
after the text shown in the first picture. Can anyone help me out? I also booted into EFI shell at one point.... no idea how that happened...
Negatropy
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OSX

Post by Negatropy »

Hello, I installed OSX 10.6.3 in windows 7 64bit host by following takwing's instruction and it works fine(Thanks takwing :D ). I'm using VirtualBox 3.2 version(not beta).
But for iWork '09, it doesn't work. Working area in keynote, I can't see any diagram or background(master) --- There shows just white background.
Also the numbers, pages.

1. How can I fix it?
2. How can I change the resolution other than VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 0 to 4? I want to customize the resolution to 1280x900.
(Since the main menu of the virtualbox resides, I should use scrollbar in 1280x1024 resolution. I know it can be solved using Full Window. But when I use Full Window mode the virtualbox window, it allways goes to my main monitor. But I want to see it my 2nd monitor)
nike
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
Guest OSses: OS/2 1.2, Windows 3.11, OSX

Post by nike »

For bug reports please use bug tracking database (with VBox.log attached).
Also read documentation carefully, it answers most questions above.

There's separate forum section dedicated to Mac guests explicitly, so please continue discussions there.