Not sure what to do.

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
OddJOb

Not sure what to do.

Post by OddJOb »

I followed the instructions as stated but I keep receiving this message when I start the machine that states: "The virtual machine failed to boot. That might be caused by a missing operating system or misconfigured boot order." What do I do?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Not sure what to do.

Post by mpack »

You should read Chapter 1 of the User Manual, particularly "Creating your first Virtual Machine".
OddJOb

Post by OddJOb »

Well, I followed the instructions by the book from the kali.org page and I'm still having trouble. Not sure how reading another "how-to" is going to help me.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

If you are using an Apple Silicon Mac (M1, M2 etc) then you should read M1/M2 Mac 7.0 Beta Status. There are very severe limitations on the kind of VMs that can be run on Apple Silicon.

If you are using an Intel Mac, then please post the compressed VBox.log file for a session that has failed.

To find the log file, right click the VM name in VirtualBox Manager and choose 'Show in Finder' from the popup menu.

When the Finder window opens, open the folder called Logs. Right click VBox.log and compress the file.

Upload the compressed file as an attachment to a new post in this thread.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

OddJOb wrote:Not sure how reading another "how-to" is going to help me.
I linked you to the only authoritative source - the user manual. We do not error check "howtos" you find elsewhere.

But why would you check the "kali.org" site for info on installing a MacOS guest? (presumed, given your forum choice). I wouldn't exactly expect them to be the fount of all knowledge on VirtualBox either.

If in fact you have a MacOS host and a Kali guest... well it really pays to be clear about these things from the start. But see Granada's post to begin with.