A MacBook with issues running MacOS

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
didiko
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

A MacBook with issues running MacOS

Post by didiko »

I have a MacBook that is not running MacOS properly, something wrong with the SMC connection.
I thought about running MacOS on VirtualBox, running a different host OS using bootcamp.
Is this possible? Do I need to allow access to the underlying Apple hardware? How?
Will it run on Both Windows and Linux? If so, will it run better on one of them?
I found some mentions of a Windows host on Apple hardware, but no mention of Linux on Apple hardware (or perhaps I didn't know what keywords to use).
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: A MacBook with issues running MacOS

Post by granada29 »

The short answer is - Yes, you can run Windows or Linux on an Intel Mac and then install VirtualBox to run macOS guests. We cannot provide support for installing your host OS but there are many solutions available by searching Google.

However, if you have faulty hardware then changing the OS is unlikely to solve your problem. I assume you have carried out the necessary procedures to reset the SMC and NVRAM on your machine. Mr Google will also have many answers on how to do that.
didiko

Post by didiko »

I tried everything I could find googling, Windows seems to run much better than MacOS on that MacBook, which considering I need this MacBook to run macOS on, since I have plenty of x64 computers, kinda defeats the purpose
multiOS
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Sorry, but I'm not sure what your real problem is:

- If if is about not being able to run a version of macOS on an Apple computer then this is not the correct forum to address that question. You need to be on an Apple Forum.
- If your current 'solution' is to run a Windows OS on the 'MacBook' using Bootcamp, then you will still need a working version of macOS to be able to install the Bootcamp software and the Bootcamp Windows Drivers.
- If you are considering installing a Windows or Linux-based OS natively in the MacBook Host completely replacing macOS, then you will need to obtain and install all of the necessary drivers to be able to make full use of the 'MacBook's' hardware. There are many websites that provide user experience/advice depending on which OS is involved.
- If you are asking if you can install/run an (unspecified) version of macOS in a VirtualBox VM, on an Apple computer that cannot install/run that version of macOS natively, then you really need to find out what the real issue is with that computer; and that includes checking the full spec of the 'MacBook' and which versions of macOS it was designed/built to work with. Apple is very good at time-limiting both the supported lifetime of it's hardware and the possible macOS upgrade options available to each model. There appears to be no licensing problem with installing/running 'macOS' in VirtualBox on genuine Apple Hardware (regardless of what Host OS is being used), but the process would still apply whatever software checks Apple has built in to its installers to recognise that genuine Apple hardware is being used and that it is compatible with the version of macOS being installed.
didiko

Post by didiko »

The issue with MacOS is mainly about performance, seems Windows runs MUCH better on this laptop.
Bootcamp is working and I'm able to run Windows, so I'll try running macOS on VBox over the Windows host, since you said it should work.
multiOS
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Well, best of luck, but you have to remember that Virtual OSs are primarily using virtualised hardware, so performance, depending on what the use is, should be expected to be below that of a full native installation, especially with macOS which makes significant use of proprietary hardware and firmware features.