macOS Ventura in a reboot loop on 2017 MBP macOS Host

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Jackie_M

macOS Ventura in a reboot loop on 2017 MBP macOS Host

Post by Jackie_M »

I'm trying out Ventura in a VM. I'm upgrading a Catalina VM. It's getting stuck in a boot loop during the install. The same process and original VM I'm using will upgrade to Monterey just fine.

I'm running it on a 2017 MBP, 16G. I'm attaching the compressed logs to this (from creation of the VM to the upgrade, just to be thorough).

Steps:
Start up base Catalina VM
Select Upgrade now from System Preferences
Wait for the download and complete the Ventura installer in the main macOS GUI
Reboot
There is console style output, and the Apple with a ETA on it, but it eventually gets to a point where it reboots infinitely (possibly the end of the installer)

I've had the same behavior after running:
vboxmanage setextradata "macOS-13-Ventura-Base" "VBoxInternal/TM/TSCMode" "RealTSCOffset"
vboxmanage modifyvm "macOS-13-Ventura-Base" --vram 256
Attachments
jackiem-virtualbox-ventura-guest-logs.zip
compressed logs from macOS-13-Ventura-Base VM
(149 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Jackie_M

Re: macOS Ventura in a reboot loop on 2017 MBP macOS Host

Post by Jackie_M »

I forgot to mention that I'm on Virtual Box 6.1.40 r154048 (Qt5.6.3)
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

From your log it appears that you have copied settings from a windows site detailing how to get macOS to run on a PC under Windows.
Some of your keys have incorrect values and others are not needed.

You should probably also install the VirtualBox Extensions pack and select USB 3 in the usb settings for your VM.

I use the following terminal commands on my iMac to get real values for my hardware:

1. Get the board-id of the host

Code: Select all

ioreg -l|grep board-id
--> Mac-BE088xxxxxxxxxxx
2. Get the hardware model string

sysctl hw.model
--> hw.model: iMac18,3
Then shutdown all running VMs and also the VirtualBox Manager before editing the settings file for your VM. Alternatively you could use the appropriate VBoxManage commands to set these keys and values.
3. Add Virtualbox Extradata in VMname.vbox

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardSerial" value="Mac-BE088xxxxxxxxxxx"/>
  <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardVersion" value="Mac-BE088xxxxxxxxxxx"/>
  <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" value="Mac-BE088xxxxxxxxxxx"/>
  <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" value="iMac18,3"/>
  <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" value="1.0"/>
  <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/TM/TSCMode" value="RealTSCOffset"/>
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Quick question for granada29: Are these extradata values necessary for a Mac VM on a real Apple host? If not, could it be a good idea for Jackie_M to start over with a fresh VM?
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

@scottgus1
Unfortunately the extradata values do seem to be necessary on real Mac hardware for runing macOS 11 (Big Sur) guests and later.

I would love it if they were not, but I the latest macOS profiles in VirtualBox still max out at the long obsolete macOS High Sierra.
Jackie_M

Post by Jackie_M »

You are correct - I used a bash script that created VMs that will likely run on Linux, so I can see where they would leave these out. I've run it on macOS for a few years now, and it's saved me much pain in setting things up and installing macOS.

I'm working at home, so I'll try it when I'm in the office.

The host is in Jamf, which reports the serial number back to the server. Having the serial number passed through would mean that there would be 2 conflicting computers showing up in that system. On my main machine running VMWare Fusion, I edit the serial number to be a unique, bogus, one to avoid this (this is setting something up for a user w/o Fusion wanting to run on their MBP, plus Fusion needs its own hacks to run Ventura). Would changing the serial number to be a different one than is on the host likely to cause a problem?
Jackie_M

Post by Jackie_M »

I just tried the efi config settings as described and no luck. I've got the same reboot loop.

Has anyone managed to get Ventura working yet?