Mac OS Monterey Boot Loop

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
HelenKeller

Mac OS Monterey Boot Loop

Post by HelenKeller »

Hey gang i just went out a bought a mac, i also got virtual box and would like to install Mac OS Monterey

Trying to install Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1 however when installing to drive it'll just reboot entirely every time i try to get through the full install. Now I know a ton of people are having this problem and nobody seems to be able to give a definitive fix. Now ive tried to install turning off floppy in boot order, changing chip set and running it through the back end, ive tried to install using 1,2,3 and 4 processor's multiple times, changing my acceleration to hyper instead of default with different amounts processors running, trying usb 3.0 instead of 2, and adding to the originally two lines of code "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage setextradata "macOS Monterey" "VBoxInternal/TM/TSCMode" "RealTSCOffset", and finally reinstalling the disk from different sources and multiple times and reinstalling Virtual box. NOW with all these countless days of time wasted ima need some assistance por favor. Additonally just tried 1.1 usb and not connecting to wifi before install.

if banned for no reason you're not invited to the cookout, free gunna as well.
AndyCot

Re: Mac OS Monterey Boot Loop

Post by AndyCot »

"C:\Program Files\..." indicates a Windows host.

Hackintosh's are NOT supported.
HelenKeller

Post by HelenKeller »

ahhhhh i used the wrong command line i seeeeee
HelenKeller

Post by HelenKeller »

AndyCot wrote:"C:\Program Files\..." indicates a Windows host.

Hackintosh's are NOT supported.
Removed command line i found on google thinking it was for this process and still no success
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

Please post your session log (attach as zip file) and the *.vbox configuration file for your VM. Without seeing these no-one is able to attempt to help you.

MODS - Please move this topic to MacOS X guests
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I'll just point out that the "session log" is the VM's 'vbox.log'. You can get it from the VM's folder, in the Logs sub-folder. The VM's .vbox file is also found in the VM's folder. The .vbox file also needs to be zipped.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and the entire Logs folder. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)

Post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Topic moved to Mac Guests.
HelenKeller

Post by HelenKeller »

Here is my session log, thank youuu gang
Attachments
macOS Monterey-2022-10-15-03-00-42.zip
(29.13 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
granada29
Volunteer
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

You have a very old version of VirtualBox installed. Versions prior to 6.1.28 will not run properly on macOS Monterey.

I suggest you upgrade to VirtualBox 6.1.40.
Download from https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.40

It will be necessary to also install the 6.1.40 Extension Pack once you have installed the new version of VirtualBox. Download it from the same link.

The cause of the Monterey VM BootLoop is that it seems the argument TSCMode must be set in the configuration. I have just verified this with a BigSur VM updated to Monterey.

From the command line:
VBoxManage setextradata "YOUR_VM_NAME" "VBoxInternal/TM/TSCMode" "RealTSCOffset"

Substitute the name used by your VM, in quotes, for "YOUR_VM_NAME"
HelenKeller

Post by HelenKeller »

Just updated and tried that and it didnt work thank you though i didnt realize it was old, any other ideas though? Im gonna attempt to use 1cp,3,4 and turn hyper on and off and run through the other chip set etc all the combos of important settings but are there any other cmd lines that will stop it from panicking such as if its not responding for a sec it doesnt restart? Ik thats what the other one is supposed to do but it never works.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

Check the video ram for the resolution you are using. If you need more than 128MB you need to set it via the following option:

VBoxManage modifyvm "YOUR_VM_NAME" --vram 256

Do you have a new log that includes the reboot?
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

HelenKeller wrote:Here is my session log
Nice try! :lol:

Seriously, the macOS Monterey-2022-10-15-03-00-42.log file isn't good enough to fool everybody. How's your Microsoft Surface Pro 6 doing? ;)
HelenKeller

Post by HelenKeller »

fth0 wrote:
HelenKeller wrote:Here is my session log
Nice try! :lol:

Seriously, the macOS Monterey-2022-10-15-03-00-42.log file isn't good enough to fool everybody. How's your Microsoft Surface Pro 6 doing? ;)
It was a good faith effort, idek how you noticed papi but look the man done spent like 2 extra hours making that shit look legit you aint gotta do me dirty my boy.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Detective Inspector fth0 has cracked this case! :D

And, of course, a confession helps:
HelenKeller wrote:the man done spent like 2 extra hours making that shit look legit
Open admission by Helen of a doctored log to get around many warnings of using a non-Apple computer for a Mac VM.

OSX guests on non-Apple hardware
HelenKeller wrote:good faith effort
Helen, you do not know the meaning of this expression. It means you start off by not lying to us.

Helen is banned. Dirty is done.