Prevent Virtualbox closing window on machine shutdown.

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
paul-syd-smith

Prevent Virtualbox closing window on machine shutdown.

Post by paul-syd-smith »

Hi gurus.....
I have what seems to be a simple to fix problem, but not sure how to achieve what I want.

I have a machine (Virtual MAC) on a Window host, that causes a protection fault on shutdown; something to do with audio I believe, but I can't see the proper error message as virtualbox closes the window as soom as the machine is shutdown.

Is there a way to make Virtualbox shitdown a machine but not close the window at the point of "power off" so you can see what was on screen? I know it kinda sounds 'wrong' but would have thought it such a useful feature I can't believe there's not a way to do it.

Anybody think of any other way I can capture the output from the Virtualbox window?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Prevent Virtualbox closing window on machine shutdown.

Post by mpack »

You are correct - it sounds wrong. I don't see what process would own that window after the VM process has ended.

What you might consider trying - and I don't know if this will work - is to kick off a video recording of the VM window just as you are about to shut down. You can then review it later, frame by frame.

Oops. I just noticed that you said "virtual Mac on a Windows host". That means we can't help you: see FAQ: MacOS Guests on non-Apple hardware.