A Critical Error has Occurred...

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
theNZKiwi

A Critical Error has Occurred...

Post by theNZKiwi »

Hi - New Here...

I've spent the last couple of days to get VirtualBox running on my computer. It's a 2012 Mac Pro - 96GB RAM, 2 x SSD, 2 x 6 core 3.06GHz CPU running Mojave 10.14.6

I created a Virtual Machine on a 480GB SSD in a PCIE card slot and after some hiccups along the way - the biggest one being I could not get it off 1024x768 until I found a posting here that explained the magic Terminal command to fix that) got it running Mojave 10.14.6 in the VM. This is in preparation that I can upgrade the Mac Pro to Catalina, or Big Sur, while still keeping the ability to run a few 32 bit applications in the VM.

I got it all running, got DreamWeaver CS6 (one of the 32 bit apps I want to keep) installed and running, then got iPhoto running (I have a 300GB iPhoto library) and noticed that while I build see the thumbnails of images in iPhoto, when double clicking them, I get a black screen - wondered if this was to do with the graphics somehow, so I shut down the VM, and quit VirtualBox, then reopened VirtualBox to look at the settings.

Went to restart the VM and got the problem error message described above. I've tried a number of times and it's always the same result.

I created a new VM, using the same .vdi file - same result - leading me to think that somehow the .vdi file has become damaged?

I've attached the log and the png as instructed. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

Roger

VBox.log.3.zip
The 4th newest log file - I imagine they're all identical, but wanted to include the one closest to when the first failure occurred
(66.82 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Attachments
VBox.png
VBox.png (39.29 KiB) Viewed 6251 times
theNZKiwi

Re: A Critical Error has Occurred...

Post by theNZKiwi »

Screen shot of the settings..
Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 5.19.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 5.19.27 PM.png (80.91 KiB) Viewed 6245 times
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

You could try:

1. Disable Audio in the VM Settings
2. Install the VirtualBox Extensions in your HOST and set the USB Controller for the VM to USB 3.0 (xHCI)

I am not sure that iPhoto will work in a VM. The problem being that the GPU implementation in VirtualBox is a rather old version of OpenGL. There is no real work-around for that as far as I know.

Note to Mods: Please move this topic to MacOS X Guests
theNZKiwi

Post by theNZKiwi »

Thanks - I'll try those things tomorrow and report back - sorry for being in the wrong forum - I figured running it on Mac OS X was the over-riding consideration.

Cheers

Roger
theNZKiwi

Post by theNZKiwi »

A new day has dawned:
• I've turned Audio Off
• I reinstalled Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.32 (1).vbox-extpack on the Host
* changed the USB

Nothing has helped - it still loads as far as the lines

Start RandomSeed
End RandomSeed

Then gives the Critical Error has Occurred dialog.
VBox.png
VBox.png (39.31 KiB) Viewed 6085 times
I'm rethinking this whole idea given the iPhoto problem, and how long this took to get running to have it quit on me. Yes, mea culpa for not realising that the whole new SSD I'd added to a PCIE slot wasn't being backed up by TimeMachine so I couldn't step back an hour or two until before it failed on me.

Thanks

Roger
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

Sorry those suggestions have not helped. The next thing you could try is to go to Settings->General->Basic

Set Version: to Mac OS X (64 bit) from the popup menu.

You could also try changing the cpu-profile as suggested in:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=100654
and
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=86741