Monterey, unable to install Darwin addition

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
vboxoracle

Monterey, unable to install Darwin addition

Post by vboxoracle »

Version: 12.2.1 (latest)

Virtualbox 6.1.32

Additions 6.1.32

When trying to the DarwinAdditions.pkg on Macos, it fails. First, it asks to accept the Oracle America, Inc in the Security Prefs tab, but the script fails. The installer encounted an error that caused the installation to fail.

I accept the new security and have Unknown/Developer apps checked, and reboot.

Reinstall, and same failure.

How do I resolve?
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Monterey, unable to install Darwin addition

Post by granada29 »

I trust you are trying to install the Guest Additions in your Monterey VM and not on your host system.

I have never had much joy with using the guest additions in any version of macOS. I find it easier to enable screen sharing in the guest and connect to the machine over the network. I use bridged networking so the VM is visible on my LAN.

I have had no luck at all in getting a Monterey guest to run reliably, so a VBox.log from your VM would be very helpful.
vboxoracle

Post by vboxoracle »

In the past, I think I was able to get it to install by using "csrutil disable" and "spctl --master-disable" on all my partitions using the MacOFS HFS filesystem. Now it converts to APFS no matter what.

I've got a developer account, so I thought that might do the trick, but when I try to log in, it does an "endless" hang. I downgraded to Big Sur, and but had the same issue. I have not really played with macOS since Catalina was released, which was the last macOS that I was able to get Virtualbox to run on.

I tried downgrading to 6.1.28, which I heard worked, but it did not for me. I guess a lot of people are using Opencore, or Vagrant, or Oralila or something, I am just now becoming familiar with these, but I wanted to succeed with Virtualbox and my straight from Apple macOS upgrade.

I tried to manually select a folder to install in, because it wants to write to /Library, which is read-only. I think this is the problem. But I can't make it rw, or "mount -uw", it denies me at even an elevated level.

I added Terminal, and other things to Full Disk Access. I see a "VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg" greyed out in Applications. I'm not sure what that means.

I did not think of remoting in, I have not ever done that. Interesting idea. I think that's when you start headless and remote log in with ssh, or some other utility?
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

vboxoracle wrote: I did not think of remoting in, I have not ever done that. Interesting idea. I think that's when you start headless and remote log in with ssh, or some other utility?
ssh is one way but in general that will only give you a commandline interface. My preferred method is to use Apple Screen Sharing (Apple version of VNC) that is baked into maOS.

I usually start a macOS VM normally (i.e. not headless) and minimise its window once I have connected to the VM via screen sharing.

In the guest VM go to System Preferences/Sharing and enable Screeen Sharing. You may also want to enable Remote Login (i.e. ssh) and File Sharing.

In the MacOS host, at the left side of a Finder Window, click Network. You should then see a list of hosts on your network that are advertising screen sharing. Click the entry for your VM and choose 'Share Screen'. Give your user name and password when/if requested.
vboxoracle

Post by vboxoracle »

I was able to get Virtualbox Darwin tools or the guest host additions to install on Monterey 12.2.1, but it was insane. One may need a developer account, Xcode, and lots of utilities and perhaps other mediums that I perhaps should not mention.

I also modified the installer to pretend to format my HDD in APFS, but really it was a MacOS Case Sensitive (Journaled) filesystem across the board. This was actually very easy. It will now forever never try to convert or change to APFS even though it ain't.
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

@vboxoracle

I think you are on your own. There is no way we can begin to support your self patched software as no-one has any idea of what you have actually done.

Note to Mod: This topic is in the Pre-Releases forum. macOS Monterey came out of pre-release several months ago. Please move this topic to Mac OS X Guests where it belongs.
vboxoracle

Post by vboxoracle »

Well, I haven't seen much success with anybody else, but it is indeed possible. That's what I was getting at. Sure, I'm on my own, but it'd be easier if it worked straight out of the Virtual Box. :lol:

It was my preference to get it working without additional tools with Virtualbox, which unless I'm proven wrong, is not possible with Monterey 12.X and Virtualbox 6.1.28+ (I have not tried a lesser version)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Topic moved to MacOS Guests.