Infinite Loop while Loading High Sierra Guest on Monterey Host

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
TexasChroi

Infinite Loop while Loading High Sierra Guest on Monterey Host

Post by TexasChroi »

Hi, new to VirtualBox, but I'm trying to stand up a High Sierra guest, and have been unsuccessful. I'm using VirtualBox 6.1.32 and created a VM with all the default settings except the following...
- 4096 MB memory
- 2 processors
- PAE/NX Enabled
- Hardware Virtualization: DISABLED "Enable Nested Paging"
- Network Adapter Type "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)
- USB Controller: USB 3.0 (xHCI) Controller
- CPU Profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"

When I try to start my VM, a terminal type window pops up, and appears to be in some kind of infinite loop. Every few seconds, it pauses at a statement reading "Start ReadKernelCache" but then it repeats the loop over again. I let it run for about an hour, but it never completes its cycle.

Attached a log here in case it would be useful. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
Log File
(36.31 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Inifinte Loop while Loading High Sierra Guest on Monterey Host

Post by fth0 »

TexasChroi wrote:- Hardware Virtualization: DISABLED "Enable Nested Paging"
- CPU Profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"
Why did you change those two settings? Try if it works without them.
TexasChroi

Post by TexasChroi »

fth0 wrote:Why did you change those two settings? Try if it works without them.
I had different errors before I changed them. So was trying several things to get it to work.

I re-enabled the Hardware Virtualization "Enable Nested Paging", and now it starts up the recovery mode, and lets me select "Install MacOS", but when I get to this screen and hit "Install" is just stalls.
Attachments
Install
Install
VB.jpg (97.99 KiB) Viewed 10196 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I see the boot loop, but it seems to be the guest OS which is initiating the reboots, presumably to clear some problem. It doesn't seem to be VM problem.
00:00:12.100721 ACPI: Reset initiated by ACPI
00:00:12.100787 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'RESETTING'
Anyway, if you want us to consider a new scenario then you should provide a new log file, and an accurate description of the error messages.
TexasChroi

Post by TexasChroi »

mpack wrote:Anyway, if you want us to consider a new scenario then you should provide a new log file, and an accurate description of the error messages.
Good point @mpac

I've attached the log file. I am not getting any errors, it just hangs.
Attachments
VBox.log.20220214.zip
(22.16 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Increase graphics RAM to 128MB.

You seem to be getting errors on the HDA (High Definition Audio) device. Trying disabling audio.
00:01:10.766281 HDA: Invalid write access @0x1030
00:01:10.766321 HDA: Invalid write access @0x1031
00:01:10.766329 HDA: Invalid write access @0x1032
00:01:10.766335 HDA: Invalid write access @0x1033
00:01:10.766361 HDA: Invalid write access @0x103c
00:01:10.766368 HDA: Invalid write access @0x103d
00:01:10.766373 HDA: Invalid write access @0x103e
00:01:10.766379 HDA: Invalid write access @0x103f
00:01:10.766399 HDA: Invalid write access @0x1044
00:01:10.766406 HDA: Invalid write access @0x1045
00:01:10.766411 HDA: Invalid write access @0x1046
00:01:10.766417 HDA: Invalid write access @0x1047
00:01:10.769582 HDA: Codec reset
00:01:10.769618 HDA: Reset
I'm not sure that's it, but I don't see much else. On that front, please make sure the VM is no longer running before you grab the log of the session. The log you provided is incomplete because of this.
TexasChroi

Post by TexasChroi »

mpack wrote:Increase graphics RAM to 128MB.

You seem to be getting errors on the HDA (High Definition Audio) device. Trying disabling audio.

I'm not sure that's it, but I don't see much else. On that front, please make sure the VM is no longer running before you grab the log of the session. The log you provided is incomplete because of this.
I increased the RAM and turned off audio, but I still get to the screen where it asks me to select the boot drive, and then just hangs without giving me an opportunity to actually pick a drive.

Powered down the VM this time before grabbing the log.
Attachments
VBox.log.20220214.2.zip
(31.11 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
granada29
Volunteer
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

From the screenshot posted above, it seems that you have not initialised a disk to be used as your system root. Your install is not hung - it is waiting for a suitable disk in order to continue.

You need to run Disk Utility from inside the installer, choose the virtual disk that you configured for your VM (don't choose the DVD rom drive - it won't work) and initialise the disk, just as you would if you added a brand new unformatted disk to real hardware.

I don't remember the specifics for the High Sierra Installer, but if you press the "Back" button at the bottom of the installer window you should eventually be able to find the window that allows you to run Disk Utility.
TexasChroi

Post by TexasChroi »

granada29 wrote:From the screenshot posted above, it seems that you have not initialised a disk to be used as your system root. Your install is not hung - it is waiting for a suitable disk in order to continue.

You need to run Disk Utility from inside the installer, choose the virtual disk that you configured for your VM (don't choose the DVD rom drive - it won't work) and initialise the disk, just as you would if you added a brand new unformatted disk to real hardware.

I don't remember the specifics for the High Sierra Installer, but if you press the "Back" button at the bottom of the installer window you should eventually be able to find the window that allows you to run Disk Utility.

This was definitely the problem. Once I initialized the disk, it allowed me to proceed with the installation of High Sierra.

I'm getting a new problem now. The installation has completed, and I'm going through the setup. I get through the three screens where it asks me for my country, the localization of my keyboard, and then my network, and it just keeps looping through those three screens.
Attachments
VBox.log.20220214.3.zip
(39.76 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

I would just accept the defaults even if they are not the ones you want. The exception (there's always an exception) is your choice of user name.

The others can all be corrected/changed from System Preferences once you have a working VM.

Note to Mods: This is topic is about a macOS guest and is in the incorrect forum.
TexasChroi

Post by TexasChroi »

granada29 wrote:I would just accept the defaults even if they are not the ones you want. The exception (there's always an exception) is your choice of user name.

The others can all be corrected/changed from System Preferences once you have a working VM.

Note to Mods: This is topic is about a macOS guest and is in the incorrect forum.
Thanks @granada29, I really appreciate your help here.

Honestly I don't have any preferences in terms of defaults. I'm just trying to get a VM up and running, and have been working on this for over a week. I started the process with the straight defaults, and then changed them one at a time as I ran into various issues and researched resolutions. Where I am now, with the settings I currently have, is the furthest I've been able to get.

I understand this may be the wrong forum, is there a way for the moderators to move this entire thread to the right one?

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Ta da! :D
TexasChroi

Post by TexasChroi »

scottgus1 wrote:Ta da! :D
Thanks!
TexasChroi

Post by TexasChroi »

Continuing the post in this thread...

Trying to stand up a new VM.

I'm seemingly able to get through the installation process, and into the setup process. I get through the three screens where it asks me for my country, the localization of my keyboard, and then my network, and it just keeps looping through those three screens.

There's a log attached earlier as VBox.log.20220214.3.zip

Thanks
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

What kind of network are you choosing? Your VM does not have access to WiFi so I hope you are not choosing that.

When you say looping, I am afraid I have have never seen this behaviour. Please check the options on each screen carefully and if there is an opportunity to Skip, then choose that.

As I said earlier, all these settings, other than the user name, can be easily changed in the System Preferences when your setup completes.