Monterey Guest Crashes on MacBook Pro 5R932LL/A with Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (Hexa-Core, 2.2GH

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
vboxoracle

Monterey Guest Crashes on MacBook Pro 5R932LL/A with Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (Hexa-Core, 2.2GH

Post by vboxoracle »

Macbook specs:

15.4-inch (2880 x 1800) LCD Display
Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (Hexa-Core, 2.2GHz, 9MB Cache)
16GB DDR3 System Memory
256GB Solid State Drive (SSD)
Dedicated Intel Iris Pro Graphics (128MB Dedicated Video Memory)
2 x USB 3.0, 1 x HDMI
Backlit Standard Keyboard and Multi-touch Trackpad
1MP Webcam and Integrated Microphone
No Ethernet, 802.11AC and Bluetooth 4.0 + HS
4-cell Lithium-Polymer Battery
Apple Mac OS X 10.10 Operating System

Running High Sierra 64bit with Monterey 12.1 Guest Host (not a beta, I upgraded).

It would only install with 1CPU. When selected more than 1, it ran slower and took hours to install. 1 CPU installed in less than an hour. With greater than 1 CPUs (I've tried, 2, 3, 4 5, 6 (max)), it'll always kernel panic.

I've disabled audio, serial ports, and everything non-essential that I can think of.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Monterey Guest Crashes on MacBook Pro 5R932LL/A with Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (Hexa-Core, 2

Post by scottgus1 »

Looks like we missed this one.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Consider providing a log using one processor, and another log using two, even if the OS panics. It may help the gurus (not me) to figure out what's up.