Anyone have a Monterey guest working?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Todd Almighty

Re: Anyone have a Monterey guest working?

Post by Todd Almighty »

I ran the downloaded 6.1.29 and it doesn't seem to fix the crashing.

Also, I found that even 2 CPUs isn't completely stable. It will sometimes reboot from a kernel panic even with 2 CPUs, just not as often. (Happened once inside the Disk Utility, and several times while expanding XCode 13.1 prior to installation.)
Todd Almighty

Post by Todd Almighty »

fth0 wrote:AFAIK, there hasn't been any minor release of VirtualBox 6.1.97 in the previous 21 months, so everything is fine with the SVN trunk. And for each minor release of VirtualBox (6.1.0 up to 6.1.28) the sources have been published.
Well's it's a confusing situation, because what normally would happen in an open source project is that the entire source code tree would be available, with the "main" branch representing the most recent changes, and various release branches getting cut off the main branch (or, if there are no separate branches, at least the main would be tagged at timepoints indicating the release versions).

Instead we have the main development branch apparently secret, with only one-time snapshots published of release branches (or tagged points of main), and then a separate subbranch, 6.1.97, shown to the public (with unknown relation to "main" or other releases). I'm not sure what the point of that is, but it certainly doesn't seem to have any upside for the external dev community (whoever builds VB from source).
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Todd Almighty wrote:Well's it's a confusing situation, because what normally would happen in an open source project [...]
AFAIU, VirtualBox is (partially) Open Source Software (OSS), but not an Open Source Project. The development takes place inside a commercial company (Oracle) with an internal SVN repository with a trunk and release branches. Whenever a version of VirtualBox is released, the corresponding source code is also released according to the GPLv2. Additionally, Oracle provides an externally accessible copy of the internal SVN trunk, for people interested in the current state of development of the next major VirtualBox version.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

@Todd Almighty

This forum is for the support of macOS VMs running under macOS on Apple Hardware. Development issues are best discussed in Developers corner.

Please start a thread in the Developer forum if you want to talk about SVN versions.

If you want further help to get your Monterey VM working - please post a VirtualBox log showing the problem you are experiencing. This gives people trying to help you a chance spot the root cause of your problem.
Todd Almighty

Post by Todd Almighty »

I looked through VBox.log myself after one of the crash/reboots, and I didn't see anything there other than what a normal reboot sequence would look like. Nothing mentioning "kernel", "crash", "panic", "illegal", etc. What string in the log would report a kernel panic like we assume is happening here?

I do see a kernel panic logged inside the guest, though I don't see anything that seems useful looking through it. (It's only a few K of text.)
Todd Almighty

Post by Todd Almighty »

I just verified that I still get the system reboot problem when running with 4 cpus in VB 6.1.30.

So no one's going to tell me what string to look for in the log file that should report a reboot due to kernel panic? As I said, I don't see any report of the crash in the VBox log, but I do see a kernel panic reported inside the guest.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Todd Almighty wrote:So no one's going to tell me what string to look for in the log file that should report a reboot due to kernel panic?
Nope.

Not until you post a log from a VM run that kernel-panicked, that is. :lol:

We're all fellow users here, not devs, so we'd need to see a log's contents to find out if anything appears. I've found that Windows VMs will report a BSOD under certain setups, so a kernel panic might be shown.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Todd Almighty

Post by Todd Almighty »

If you don't know what you're looking for in the log, I'm not following how posting it will help. I don't see any evidence myself of a crash.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You were given explicit instructions to post a log showing a run of the VM with a kernel panic in it, see post #2 above by myself, as well as by fth0 and Granada29.

You have disregarded these instructions repeatedly.

If you do not post the said log per the explicit instructions in your next post, this topic will be locked.

End of discussion.
Todd Almighty

Post by Todd Almighty »

If you're not willing to accommodate developers (I have a CS degree) working for FREE who are trying to get your product working, but are concerned about exposing potentially personally identifying information in such a log file, your product will continue to be BROKEN with MacOS's latest release, and your customers will turn to VMware which can support MacOS through proper enabling scripts.

It would seem to me that, instead of arguing with your users, you should immediately assign a dev to try out your product with a Monterey guest, as I have read multiple reports across the web confirming my experience of it being UNSTABLE on Monterey. Evidently, you've not done that, and don't plan to do it.

Good day.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Todd Almighty wrote:you should immediately assign a dev to try out your product with a Monterey guest
You seem to be under the impression that the devs aren't working on Monterey as a VM. 'Tis a patently ridiculous idea that the devs would ignore a new version of a supported OS.

The devs will have Monterey going shortly. The same period of development time happened for Catalina and Big Sur. Monterey will also work one day soon. On real Apple computers, that is. :wink:

Since you will not help us help you by providing a log, even an obfuscated one (folks do that, you know, and it's OK if they do as long as they tell us what data types they changed), then this conversation is over. It won't frazzle us if you leave. We're all fellow Virtualbox users here, not devs, and askers of questions who won't cooperate with enough data, like a log, to help us help them, well, we're just not able to help!

Patiently wait for the devs to figure out how to run Monterey, or go and use another hypervisor. Try Hyper-V. Your host PC might have it.... :lol:

Oh, and btw, if you ever come back, you'll know what you'll be asked for to get help....
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Todd Almighty wrote:(I have a CS degree)
It would seem to me that, instead of arguing with your users
CS degree? I wonder from where. From my POV, evidence shows that Todd's learning ability is poor. For example he has been told repeatedly for at least 2 years that we are fellow users, we do not work for Oracle. Yet this information does not seem to sink in. Ref: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=97043&p=470858#p470896.