Convert physical MacOS 10.14.6 to virtual machine

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
PaullyD

Convert physical MacOS 10.14.6 to virtual machine

Post by PaullyD »

I have a physical Macbook Pro 13" (early 2013) running MacOS/OS X 10.14.6 (patched as up-to-date as available) that I would like to convert to a virtual machine.

Are there any how-to's available that outline the steps required to make this happen? If VirtualBox can't do this, I am open to buying a license for VMWare Fusion or Parallels.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Convert physical MacOS 10.14.6 to virtual machine

Post by granada29 »

I have a feeling that the only way forward would be to create a macOS 10.14.6 VM and then use Migration Assistant to copy the data from your physical machine to the VM. This would be easier if you have a 2nd machine to run VirtualBox.

Hope that helps.
PaullyD

Re: Convert physical MacOS 10.14.6 to virtual machine

Post by PaullyD »

granada29 wrote:I have a feeling that the only way forward would be to create a macOS 10.14.6 VM and then use Migration Assistant to copy the data from your physical machine to the VM. This would be easier if you have a 2nd machine to run VirtualBox.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a second machine at the moment, and won't likely have an intel machine to do a clone, so was hoping to be able to create a VM and write this out to an external USB HDD. Not sure if migration assistant will copy all the application installations etc, which is the primary reason that I want to make this VM (a whole bunch of now deprecated apps that cannot run on MacOS 11 or 12)