Can someone explain this boot failure

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
DoctorDan

Can someone explain this boot failure

Post by DoctorDan »

Hello,
I'm on a mac running Catalina but I have an app that requires Mojave.
I created a VM with Fusion, but it's not recognizing mouse clicks at critical times.
A possible solution was to try VirtualBox.
As everyone probably knows by now, the Mojave installer can no longer be used to either install Mojave or create a VM for reasons that are unclear but unavoidable. (I've tried every conceivable workaround).

I used the VMware ovf tool to export the vm and imported it into VB. The default vm uses mbr boot which gives a fatal error: no boot medium.
I have enabled efi boot with VBoxManage modifyvm "VM name" --firmware efi

The vm boots to the efi shell prompt. The next steps to recover from this are: exit shell, use the boot maintenance manager to choose the recovery partition and then boot. The result is:Image "This version of OS X is not supported on this platform. Reason: VirtualBox"

Can anyone explain how this can be and what to do about it?

Thank you
morpheus07

Re: Can someone explain this boot failure

Post by morpheus07 »

Your image is no more available, can't see it!

Anyway, the issue was regarding/around related to something about cerificates?
If so .... some ago I had same issue. Maybe you tried already, don't know.
If I remember correctly (and I go by heart) I did the following:
- boot from Mojave ISO or in Recovery mode
- open terminal
- manage with "date" cmd (man date), in order to set system back at a time around 2018-2019 (Mojave), just choose a day you like
- continue installing or start "Install Mojave"

Finally the installer don't complain any more and let you install the system.
When the system is up and network available, you can sync to nowdays through ntp or similar.

Hope might help.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

morpheus07 wrote:Your image is no more available, can't see it!
That image was never available - this forum no longer supports img tags, because of the potential for the target image to be replaced with something inappropriate. Images should be attached locally using the "upload attachment" feature.

In any case I assume that the translation the OP gives immediately after the IMG link tells us what it would have said anyway.

Sorry, I'm not a MacOS user and so can't help with the OPs problem.
morpheus07

Post by morpheus07 »

In any case I assume that the translation the OP gives immediately after the IMG link tells us what it would have said anyway.
Thx @mpack, I miss it.
So, this could be related to a non-eligible (for Mojave) mac model/product into vm bios/efi.
Think this can be changed to "iMac11,3" for example.

Anyway, what I hypothesized earlier, will be the next problem to face with Mojave installation process nowadays.
You can try it, create new empty VM, add Mojave ISO under Storage and Start, choose "install Mojave"...bang!

Hope might help
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

I think this problem is related to the expired certificates in the Apple installers.
You can see the work-around in: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=98142#p475887
DoctorDan

Post by DoctorDan »

mpack wrote:
morpheus07 wrote:Your image is no more available, can't see it!
That image was never available - this forum no longer supports img tags, because of the potential for the target image to be replaced with something inappropriate. Images should be attached locally using the "upload attachment" feature.
Perhaps it should support inline bmp's. Very little chance of malicious code execution.
DoctorDan

Post by DoctorDan »

granada29 wrote:I think this problem is related to the expired certificates in the Apple installers.
You can see the work-around in: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=98142#p475887
Changing the date may have worked at some tome but no longer.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

Possibly something wrong with your ISO file.

I have just installed a Mojave VM using VirtualBox 6.1.30 on macOS Montery as a completely new installation.

1. Go to https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT211683 and click the macOS Mojave link. This will take you to the Apple App Store site.
2. Click the View in Mac App Store link and allow the App Store to be launched when prompted.
3. Now click the Get button. In Montery this will begin a download with Software Update and on completion of the download will attempt to run it. It should fail but thats OK.
4. You should now have Install macOS Mojave in your applications Folder. Don't try to run it.
5. Get InstallerApp2ISO from https://whatroute.net/installerapp2iso.html
6. Run InstallerApp2ISO and drag/drop Install macOS Mojave from your Applications folder onto the image pane at top left of the window.
7. Generate the ISO file.
8. Create a new macOS VM in VirtualBox Manager - choose macOS 10.13 High Sierra(64-bit) as the VM template.
9. Before running the VM, go through the settings and make adjustments to:
a) CPU - I used 3
b) Memory - I used 4096MB
c) Video RAM - 128MB
d) Network - NAT is probably OK. I used bridged because that fits better with my LAN
e) Ports - enable USB 3.0

Now run the VM. It should boot from the ISO image. You will have to initialise your virtual disk with Disk Utility before installing Mojave.
Once you have initialised the virtual disk, quit Disk Utility and you should be able to proceed with the Mojave installation.
After the installation has finished, remove the ISO from your virtual DVD drive and reboot.

I hope that helps.