No internet after upgrading host to OS X 11.6

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Defective

No internet after upgrading host to OS X 11.6

Post by Defective »

I've been successfully running OS X guest 10.14.6 on OS X host 10.15.x for some time now, all on a Mac iMac. I recently updating my host OS to 11.6. Now when I start up the guest 10.14.6 OS, I get no internet. Ideas what to check/do? I'm running VirtualBox 6.1.26.

Thanks!
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: No internet after upgrading host to OS X 11.6

Post by granada29 »

Is the host network connection wireless? If so, try using an ethernet connection. There have been many people reporting problems with a wireless adaptor connected in bridge mode to a VirtualBox guest.
Defective

Post by Defective »

Thanks for the response. Yes, the host is connected wirelessly to the Internet. I would definitely try what you suggest, but it's not a simple operation, as it requires a move to a different room and unseating quite a bit of stuff. So before doing that, one question: I also tested with a Windows 10 guest, and its Internet access is working fine. Does that suggest that the problem is elsewhere? Or is the problem specific to Mac guests?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The network type of the guest is the defining factor for internet access, not the guest OS. Virtualbox Bridged does not always work with Wi-Fi, due to the strictness of the host OS Wi-Fi drivers. It appears that your old Mac OS drivers were hippies and the new Mac OS drivers are Victorians re Wi-Fi, so Bridged might not work on Wi-Fi anymore on your Mac.

NAT does work over Wi-Fi. So if the Mac VM was Bridged and the Windows VM is NAT, Windows will get internet but not Mac. Check if this is so.

It could be possible for the Mac VM to stay on Bridged if you give the Mac VM OS a static IP address. Or the Mac VM will have to be set to NAT.
Defective

Post by Defective »

Thanks so much for this info - I'm away from the machine in question over the weekend, but will try next week when I have access to it again. Greatly appreciated!
Defective

Post by Defective »

Sorry for the long delay. So yes, my Windows VM was NAT, and my Mac VM was Bridged. Changing the Mac VM to NAT fixed it straightaway - many many thanks!!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad you're up and running!