iCLOUD_UNSUPPORTED_DEVICE on Big Sur VM running on a MAC HOST

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
JL1
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Big Sur, Win 10, Win Server 2016

iCLOUD_UNSUPPORTED_DEVICE on Big Sur VM running on a MAC HOST

Post by JL1 »

This is not a Hackintosh as defined by running a Windows host.

However, can someone confirm my belief that because I am running a Mac Pro Mid-2010 with High Sierra which is the last OS I can install on this machine, this machine is essentially a Hackintosh?

Also, is that the reason Guest Additions fails to install, too?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: iCLOUD_UNSUPPORTED_DEVICE on Big Sur VM running on a MAC HOST

Post by mpack »

IMO, if it needs to be hacked to run on the current hardware, then it's a hackintosh.

See the sticky topic at the top of this forum for info on the (unsupported, provided as-is) MacOS GAs.
multiOS
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

The problems are most probably down to the fact that 'Big Sur' was specifically programmed by Apple not to install/run on the Mac Hardware of the era you are using. The one piece of real hardware Virtual Machines always see is the Host CPU, so the Big Sur VM will detect the CPU, recognise that it is "too old" to run that OS version and ...
JL1
Guest OSses: Big Sur, Win 10, Win Server 2016

Post by JL1 »

Thank you for the quick replies.

It's just interesting that Big Sur will run on a VM on an obsolete Mac Pro but won't install on that Mac Pro because of the video card/metal BS. Even more interesting is that the App Store is accessible on the Big Sur VM.

Fortunately, with a network share to the obsolete host the iCloud on the VM is not relevant. I'd rather have Guest Additions install :-)

So, if VirtualBox is a hack then it's a hack.
granada29
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

I find that I have no need for the (somewhat limited) GA's in a macOS VM.

I enable file and screensharing in the System Preferences -> Sharing pane in the guest.

I then use Screen Sharing in the host to attach to the VM and have most of the facilities that are offered by the GA's - i.e. drag and drop file sharing, copy/paste text etc etc.

I minimise the VM window to avoid screen clutter.
mikepl

Post by mikepl »

I have "successfully" built a Big Sur VM on my iMac. My iMac is current and will run Big Sur, but I'm not going to take the plunge yet. On the VM, I get the iCLOUD_UNSUPPORTED_DEVICE error when I try to add my Apple ID to the System Preferences. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

It could be that you need to set the system serial number in your VM - the default serial number is 0.

There is a discussion on this in the thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=95287&hilit=DmiSystemSerial
mikepl

Post by mikepl »

I executed

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata "BS2" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "<serial # copied from my iMac>"
(BS2 is the name of my VM) and relaunched the VM, but I still get the unsupported error when I try to add my AppleID to the VM.
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

@mikepl

A bit of googling and I discovered there further attributes (systemuuid amongst them) that need to be specified in the VM settings. Unfortunately the sites found step into the realms of hackintoshes so I'm reluctant to post any URLs. However, if you search "virtualbox icloud" you should be able to find the answers. I have not tried to apply any of these attributes myself due to lack of time.