Can't Install Sierra on Sierra Host

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
sweil

Can't Install Sierra on Sierra Host

Post by sweil »

No matter what I have tried, I can't install Sierra on a VM an old mac (MBP mid-2010) running Sierra. I run into the UEFI shell and I don't know how to get past it. Supposedly it is supposed to be possible to locate a boot.efi, and then the installer is happy, but I can't do that because I can't find it - if it exists. I have tried both DMG and ISO images created from the DMG file downloaded from Apple.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Can't Install Sierra on Sierra Host

Post by fth0 »

In the (U)EFI Shell, enter the exit command to get to the (U)EFI Boot Manager, where you can select the boot.efi file.
sweil

Post by sweil »

fth0

That is not working. I am able to get to the GUI menu, but when I get into the Boot Maintenance Manager-->Boot From File and select any of the options, nothing happens. My only option is to escape.

There are differences depending on whether I am using the DMG or the ISO. It looks like the DMG is "better" because at least with that there are two options to choose from, but it doesn't help solve the problem. I have doubts about the existence of the boot.efi file.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

If the installation procedure previously went far enough and your "only" problem is that during the reboot, the (U)EFI Shell gets started instead of the boot.efi file, then you'll have to select the boot.efi file in the devices tree under Boot Manager, not under Boot Maintenance Manager. HTH.
sweil

Post by sweil »

fth0

The OS hasn't been installed on the VM. I haven't gotten to any typical GUI installation process yet. I am trying to install it, but haven't succeeded because of this issue. This forum may be my only hope.
granada29
Volunteer
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

@sweil

Did you create a boot disk from the install ISO or are you trying to boot with the downloaded DMG/ISO you got from Apple?

The topic viewtopic.php?f=22&t=81443 explains what you should be doing.

BTW - This topic is in the wrong forum. A Mod will hopefully move it to Mac OS X Guests before too long.
sweil

Post by sweil »

granada29

I have created two bootable DVDs, one with the ISO that I converted using Terminal (hdiutil) and the other with DMG. Neither work. I have also tried to ignore the DVD, and use the ISO directly. Granted, I might be doing something else incorrect.

One possible issue is that I am using an external optical drive. I don't know whether that makes a difference. My internal optical drive isn't reading these disks. It ejects them.
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

sweil wrote:granada29

I have created two bootable DVDs, one with the ISO that I converted using Terminal (hdiutil) and the other with DMG. Neither work. I have also tried to ignore the DVD, and use the ISO directly. Granted, I might be doing something else incorrect.
Yeah - You need to extract the installer from the Apple supplied DVD - please read the link I posted previously. You could try my utility InstallerApp2ISO to create the installer ISO.

There is no need to write the installer ISO to physical media. Attach the ISO to a virtual CD in your VM settings.
sweil

Post by sweil »

Does Apple supply a DVD for Sierra? I don't have one. I just downloaded a DMG. It appears that it should be good enough, but I would like to be certain.
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

There is a link to a Sierra installer application at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Download the dmg, and open it on your host.

Run InstallerApp2ISO and drag the Sierra Installer application from your now mounted dmg to the top left pane of the InstallerApp2ISO window.

Or skip the download and follow the same process with the dmg you already have.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Topic moved to "OS X Guests".