Enable Metal support on Big Sur+ hosts running Big Sur+ guests

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
wizoomer95

Enable Metal support on Big Sur+ hosts running Big Sur+ guests

Post by wizoomer95 »

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur (willing to provide evidence to mods if requested). Also, if this isn't the right spot to post this, feel free to move the thread.

Recently, I discovered that Apple implemented a way of enabling graphics acceleration and Metal support on virtual machines running macOS Big Sur on Big Sur hosts. Presumably, this will continue to be the case in Monterey and all that follows it. There is a kext included on Big Sur called AppleParavirtGPU.kext, which enables macOS guests to interface with macOS hosts and enables graphics acceleration. Other paid third-party virtualization solutions like VMWare Fusion and recently Parallels, albeit a bit buggy given its relatively new nature. I'm wondering if it would be possible to enable this functionality within VirtualBox? Seeing as it requires both the host and guest to be macOS Big Sur or later, this shouldn't be an issue EULA compliance-wise. Thank you in advance!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Enable Metal support on Big Sur+ hosts running Big Sur+ guests

Post by mpack »

Not an appropriate subject for "Suggestions" - too Mac specific. Topic moved to "OS X Guests".
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: Enable Metal support on Big Sur+ hosts running Big Sur+ guests

Post by klaus »

Is there any real documentation on this kind of GPU virtualization? Apple documents what the guest will see, which is pretty much useless, since effectively it documents what the kernel extension to which you're referring is providing. Can't spot any hint what the virtualizer should offer as a device emulation to make the kernel extension happy.