Mac os high sierra vm on UBUNTU 8.04

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Slo-Motion
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Mac OS High Sierra

Mac os high sierra vm on UBUNTU 8.04

Post by Slo-Motion »

im running ZORINOS(Ubuntu8.04) and i got virtualbox 5;on successfully installing Macos high sierra i can seem to network(LAN) the VM with ubuntu so i can access my files and get productive.
would love some step by step help/guidance
P.S; im running zorinos on a 2011macbookpro(with dead Nvidia GPU)

thanx for any advise and help in advance
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Mac os high sierra vm on UBUNTU 8.04

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Slo-Motion

Post by Slo-Motion »

mpack wrote:thanks for etting back to me so soon
thanks for etting back to me so soon
Attachments
VBox log.zip
zip vbox log file
(28.62 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Apple hardware confirmed. Topic moved to "OS X Guests" since the choice of host is not the subject of discussion.

You say that the VM successfully runs, and I'm also not seeing any error in the log. What is it that you are asking for?

If it's general tuition on MacOS guests then that may be tricky, since very few people create them. Nobody except Mac users are allowed by the license to install MacOS, and Mac users generally want Windows or Linux as the guest OS.

One problem: you are not using VirtualBox. You are using the old 5.2.42 fork (from the VirtualBox open sources) from the Ubuntu repo. Technically you should be asking for support in the Ubuntu forums since we here don't parse what changes the Ubuntu devs make (or not) to VirtualBox as we know it. Plus the current official version of VirtualBox is at 6.1.22 (the 5.2.x branch dates from 2017, though the 5.2.42 patch is more recent - May 2020. Support ended in July 2020).
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Slo-Motion wrote:i can seem to network(LAN) the VM with ubuntu so i can access my files and get productive.
I suspect there is a little language glitch, and this should read "I can't access my files" etc.

I don't know if the Guest Additions for Mac OS include Virtualbox Shared Folders. If they do, see the manual, section 4.3 https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... redfolders.

If Virtualbox Shared Folders are not included in the GAs for Mac, you can share a real folder on the Linux Host OS. Then set up a real network between the Linux host and the Mac VM. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures. Bridged will give the VM access to the host's shared folders and the internet. If your Bridged fails because you are using Wi-Fi, Use two networks: NAT for internet and Host-Only to access the host. Once Bridged or Host-Only is set up, you can access the Linux host's shared folder. (This process for sharing a real folder and accessing it in the Mac VM is the same process you'd use if you had two physical networked computers, a Linux and a Mac, and you wanted to see each computer's shared folders from the other computer. Web-search how to do this in each OS.)
Slo-Motion

Post by Slo-Motion »

it runs,i login and im able to laugh logic pro x; however im not able to attach even usb drives or see my "Shared folders" set in the shared folders section of Virtual box(the fork version)
-so should i unistall and istall the official ubuntu one?
Last edited by mpack on 11. May 2021, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Delete verbatim quote
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Slo-Motion wrote:however im not able to attach even usb drives or see my "Shared folders" set in the shared folders section of Virtual box(the fork version)
-so should i unistall and istall the official ubuntu one?
On USB, make sure that the host extension pack is installed. Note that the official extension pack is not guaranteed to work with forks. Also make sure that you enable USB3 (preferred) or USB2 support in the VM settings (your log currently shows that you have only USB 1.1 enabled).

On Shared Folders as set up in the VM settings: that will never work because it's a feature of the Guest Additions which do not exist for MacOS guests (to be fully accurate, stub GAs exist but do not include much, and do not include Shared Folders support). To get shared folders with a MacOS guest you will have to configure a true network share. I believe you would have to enable Samba (i.e. Windows) sharing because it's a language that both MacOS and Linux speak. But I'm not an expert in either MacOS nor Linux so it's possible there's a plugin for Linux that allows it to do MacOS network shares directly.

Another suggestion I've seen is to share files via a OneDrive account or similar, if you have access to that.
Slo-Motion

Post by Slo-Motion »

okay so i installed the official virtual box,it keeps freezing when i try to allow guest additions in the security area
Last edited by mpack on 11. May 2021, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Delete verbatim quote
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

As I already mentioned above, Guest Additions do not exist for MacOS guests.