MacMini running Ubuntu attempting to create Mojave VM.

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
grint

MacMini running Ubuntu attempting to create Mojave VM.

Post by grint »

I got as far as 2 minutes remaining in install before I got the message "An error occurred validating the installer data. The download is either damaged or incomplete.". I don't believe that there is anything wrong with the iso, as it came from an installer I've used on a few Macs without issue.

This is all new to me. My MacMini had Mac OS until recently when Big Sur killed it. It is now running Ubuntu. I don't care which Mac OS I use, I just need any that will allow me to backup my iOS devices.

I actually have an install USB drive with El Capitan, 10.11. I made another one with Big Sur that I'd rather not use if I can help it. I am sure I have access to any version of Mac OS 10, as I've had Macs since OS 6, and have used every iteration up until Big Sur.

If someone could suggest whatever version of Mac OS (I just need support for iOS 9.3.5) works best with Virtualbox, and what settings I should try, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: MacMini running Ubuntu attempting to create Mojave VM.

Post by granada29 »

I think you have an older version of the macOS Installer that now contains out of date code signing certificates.

Please see [Solved] Error "This copy of the Install MacOS application is damaged"

However, since you are running Ubuntu, I am not sure what the effect of changing the date/time of your host system will have. You may be better off looking on Apple's site for a more recent version of the Installer.

* Added last paragraph.
grint

Re: MacMini running Ubuntu attempting to create Mojave VM.

Post by grint »

Thanks for the advice. If there is no advantage to one specific Mac OS, I'll try El Capitan, or Yosemite, next.