No Internet in Mac Guest?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
kwriley87

No Internet in Mac Guest?

Post by kwriley87 »

Hello-

I am running Virtualbox on Big Sur and have a VM within Virtualbox created running Mojave. The Virtualbox host machine is connected to the internet via WiFi but I am unable to get the internet working within my Mojave VM.

I've tried a number of different network adapter settings to no avail. Each time the network settings in my guest VM show cable disconnected and has no IP address.

Here are my current network adapter settings:

Attached to: Bridge Adapter
Name: en1: Wi-Fi (AirPort)
Adapter Type: PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973)
Promiscuous Mode: Allow VMs
MAC address: 0800271244DE
Cable Connected: Enabled

I've tried switching to NAT since I've read that wireless doesn't always work with bridge mode and still am not having any luck. I also tried creating a host-only adapter as well.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on getting this to work? Typically in the past setting the network adapter to bridge has always been the answer but this is my first experience in attempting to work with Virtualbox in an OS X environment.

Thank you!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: No Internet in Mac Guest?

Post by scottgus1 »

All the trashing about with different network adapters may have broken the VM's network, so that not even NAT can work. The default hardware chosen by Virtualbox will be usable by the chosen VM OS, as long as the OS installed matches the choice made in "Create New Machine".

Bridged does not always work over Wi-Fi, true. Start a new VM, don't change the network adapter, and set to NAT from the beginning. Install the OS fresh in the VM, see what happens.