MacOS guest on MacOS Mojave host limmited to 4 MB of video RAM?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Tovitik

MacOS guest on MacOS Mojave host limmited to 4 MB of video RAM?

Post by Tovitik »

Greetings,

On a MacOS Mojave host, I created a MacOS Sierra guest. I allocated 128 MB of video RAM in the settings.

I attempted to run a game, but it failed to open with the message "Error: this game requires at least 32 MB of video RAM"

I then checked "about this mac" and next to "graphics" it said "Display 4 MB" even though I had allocated 128 MB. I have installed guest additions, but this issue still persists.

Is there any way to fix this?

Edit: I would like to add that the graphics for my host device is "Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB." I am using virtualbox 6.1.18
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: MacOS guest on MacOS Mojave host limmited to 4 MB of video RAM?

Post by mpack »

Tovitik wrote:I have installed guest additions
GAs for MacOS guests don't officially exist (you will find no mention in the user manual), and in particular they don't include graphics drivers. Hence it will be using the default VESA graphics, and I have no idea what that would report for available video RAM. I would not expect much from a graphically based game.

This question does not belong in MacOS hosts. Moving to MacOS guests.
Tovitik

Post by Tovitik »

mpack wrote:GAs for MacOS guests don't officially exist
I see, I suppose it makes sense that the OS X guest additions did not allow for graphics features.

In any case, is there any way to improve the video RAM of the guest without guest additions? I really need to get certain applications working in the virtual machine so I can upgrade to Catalina without losing them.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sorry, there is no way in VirtualBox to improve the graphics performance of a MacOS guest. MacOS guests are illegal on non Apple hardware, and those with Apple hardware generally care only about Windows guests. These facts limit the business market and make MacOS guests a low priority for the devs.

I'm sure one of the non free VM platforms, specialized in serving Apple users, might have different priorities.