How to add Storage to a Machine?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
NorbyD

How to add Storage to a Machine?

Post by NorbyD »

Hi all,

I'm trying to add additional storage to my Machine.

I did a search in the community and couldn't find anything on this topic. However,
when I did a Google Search they suggested to go to "Storage" in Settings and click
the plus sign next to "Controller: Sata" but it was greyed out.

I do have a partition I created on my host I'd like to refer to for additional space.

Anyway, I'd appreciate some support.

Thanks.
paulmc
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows

Re: How to add Storage to a Machine?

Post by paulmc »

@NorbyD, if those 'Add [Hard] Disk' controls {as shown for another host OS in the VirtualBox UserManual, § '3.7. Storage Settings'} are disabled, then a seemingly common reason is that your guest VM is still running, as in the thread 'Cant add hard disk!' {although interestingly, the virtual SATA controller nowadays apparently supports "hot swap", as mentioned in the thread '[solved] Hot Swap hard drive'}. OTOH, if your guest VM was indeed already shut down, then please provide further details about your setup, such as your host macOS & VirtualBox versions, and the steps you took to create your guest VM, etc.

In terms of using your host Mac's hard disk/partition in your guest, if you haven't already set up your 'raw disk' access, then the VirtualBox UserManual, § '9.7.1. Using a Raw Host Hard Disk From a Guest' has some detailed information on this relatively advanced procedure. Please be sure to heed all the warnings about its potential dangers. There are also threads in several forums that discuss its various ins & outs, so just search for "createrawvmdk" {e.g., there's the thread 'VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk error: Cannot read the partition info...' (over in the 'VirtualBox on Mac OS X Hosts' forum) that covers using a host Mac's BootCamp partition in a guest VM, etc.}.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

NorbyD wrote:I do have a partition I created on my host I'd like to refer to for additional space.
You can also add a regular virtual drive file to the VM and put the virtual drive file on the other partition. This will allow both the host and the VM to use the partition's space, with no troubles coming from Raw Disk Access.
paulmc
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows

Post by paulmc »

@scottgus1, thanks for the reminder about this much safer & simpler alternative for a guest to share host storage, in situations where guest-booting from the physical host drive/partition itself isn't required. {I think I've had too much 'raw disk' stuff on the brain recently …}
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

Thanks all!

I was able to do it. I basically moved everything to an external drive and was able to bump up the storage.
Now, my next hurdle I'm struggling with is adding space to my C drive in Windows 10. I can't seem to merge a volume because "extend volume" is greyed out. I Youtubed this issue, etc. Why do they make it so painful to do things that should be stupid simple!

I tried using a partition manager but ran out of space and can't download.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!!
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

Update: I just figured it out by downloading Minitool Partition!.....Damn, I'm good!...Not!...LOL. :lol:

Thanks again Y'all!!