Easiest way to setup Shared Folder from Mac?...

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
NorbyD

Easiest way to setup Shared Folder from Mac?...

Post by NorbyD »

Hi all,

I recently fixed an issue running VB on my Mac. I basically had to relink the Iso file. Now it's working :D
I appreciate everyone's input on that thread!! :D

Onto the next issue: Prior to issues running VB, I setup a "Folder for Sharing" and it worked flawlessly between
VB and Mac. Whenever I saved something in VB, it reflected in my Mac - beautiful!! Now, I need to set it up again
and forgot how I did it.

I would appreciate a reminder on how to set it up.

Thanks again!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Easiest way to setup Shared Folder from Mac?...

Post by mpack »

Your terminology is a tad confusing. It's not entirely clear whether "VB" refers to the VirtualBox software in general or to a specific VM. Assuming that you are referring to a VM: the Guest Additions must be installed in each VM separately, assuming that GAs are even supported for the chosen guest OS family. If the forum choice is not misleading, i.e. if the guest is MacOS then GA shared folders have never been supported: GAs for MacOS guests officially do not exist at all.

Only Windows and Linux/Solaris guests have full GAs.

The only way to get shared folders with a MacOS guest is to configure a true network share.

p.s. If you had a discussion ongoing in another topic which has now been solved, please post in that topic to say so. Future readers will appreciate closure.
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

mpack wrote:Your terminology is a tad confusing. It's not entirely clear whether "VB" refers to the VirtualBox software in general or to a specific VM. Assuming that you are referring to a VM: the Guest Additions must be installed in each VM separately, assuming that GAs are even supported for the chosen guest OS family. If the forum choice is not misleading, i.e. if the guest is MacOS then GA shared folders have never been supported: GAs for MacOS guests officially do not exist at all.

Only Windows and Linux/Solaris guests have full GAs.

The only way to get shared folders with a MacOS guest is to configure a true network share.

p.s. If you had a discussion ongoing in another topic which has now been solved, please post in that topic to say so. Future readers will appreciate closure.
Sorry for the confusion, VB = Virtual Box

I can't remember how I had it setup before but it was very seamless and it was simple to setup. It will eventually come to me :roll:.

I'll close the previous thread. Thanks.
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

I figured this out...

I think previously I referred to this Youtube Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aodqRB38Bc4&t=141s

So, I suppose I can proclaim it's resolved.

Thanks again!! :mrgreen:
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

My response is a bit late, but never mind... The linked video discusses a Windows guest, not a MacOS guest (the subject matter of this forum). As already mentioned above, Windows guests are fully supported by GAs, making them a totally different proposition to a MacOS guest.