Changing mac type

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
rickyvrn

Changing mac type

Post by rickyvrn »

Hello. I'm currently using macOS Big Sur version 11.0.1. It identifies the virtual machine as an iMac. I was wondering if it is possible to change that.
rickyvrn

Re: Changing mac type

Post by rickyvrn »

Bump.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

I'm not sure that the question is understood without a bit more detail. How was the Virtual Machine (VM) created? Did you accidentally use the name 'iMac' when you created the VM and now want to rename it to something more appropriate, or is there some other explanation of the problem?

Perhaps you could attach a screenshot of the VirtualBox Manager portion of the screen showing the 'offending' entry, using the upload attachment Tab on the message screen.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

rickyvrn wrote:Bump.
Please keep in mind that this forum is run by volunteers who take their own time to answer if they know the answer. A weekly bump for a few weeks is reasonable. Anything more often would come off as impatient.
paulmc
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows

Post by paulmc »

@rickyvrn, as @multiOS mentioned, it isn't entirely clear what you mean by the word 'identifies'. {Not to go all "impeachment mode" on you, or anything. ;-)}

If you're not referring to the name or other end-user identification of the guest VM, but instead a lower-level identification that of course isn't related to a certain type of configuration for which no support can be provided here, then, as multiOS suggested, please do provide more details about your situation.