BigSur installed on virtual box does not allow me to install virtual guest addition

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
gerphil

BigSur installed on virtual box does not allow me to install virtual guest addition

Post by gerphil »

I've got the same problem. I managed to update my Catalina VirtualBox image to Big Sur and I need to disable SIP, which must be done in the recovery mode. But I'm not able to get to it.

Host is Manjaro, guest is Big Sur.

What I already tried is

Code: Select all

sudo usr/sbin/nvram internet-recovery-mode=RecoveryModeDisk
On Catalina modifying the nvram worked fine, but on Big Sur the change has no effect.

And I tried to boot into VirtualBox EFI shell, but there is no recovery directory with a fitting boot.efi file in it.

Can you please help me to get to the recovery mode?

Thank you very much.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: BigSur installed on virtual box does not allow me to install virtual guest addition

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the guest from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
gerphil

Re: BigSur installed on virtual box does not allow me to install virtual guest addition

Post by gerphil »

Thank you for your reply.

I attached the log output as you described to this reply.
Attachments
macos_big_sur-2021-01-08-15-27-54.log.zip
Log from Big Sur boot
(33.03 KiB) Downloaded 36 times