USB audio/MIDI interface and keyboard controller not recognized

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
JackOats
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MacOS 10.12 Sierra (64-bit)

USB audio/MIDI interface and keyboard controller not recognized

Post by JackOats »

(mod edit - split from JackOats' previous topic viewtopic.php?f=22&t=99937)

Hi All,

As you can probably see from the previous posts of September, I managed to set up VirtualBox v.6.1.14 (with the kind help & guidance of scottgus1/mpack/granada29 & fth0) on my Mac.

I did this so I could use a 32 bit synth app that upgrading to Catalina had made impossible.
I have only just got back to it but I find that the DAW I am using (Reaper) to host the app (Tassman) will not recognise my keyboard controller (M-AUDIO Keystation 88es) or my (AUDIOBOX USB) audio & MIDI interface. So, at present, I am excited that I can access the Tassman app via VB - but frustrated because I have no audio or Midi.

I have searched through the Reaper User Manual & followed instructions on audio & Midi setup but so far without success.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Many thanks.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 3. Dec 2020, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split to new topic, edited title
iMac 27/Catalina/3.5 GBh Intel Core i7/16 GB Ram/3 TB HD
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: USB audio/MIDI interface and keyboard controller not recognized

Post by scottgus1 »

I broke this one out to a new topic, per "One issue per thread".

It appears from my quick googling that these are all USB devices. Go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If steps 1 through 7 cannot get your device working, please provide the troubleshooting command outputs in step 8, as text in

Code: Select all

tags. Also zip and post the requested vbox.log, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
JackOats

Post by JackOats »

@scottgus1

Hi & thanks very much for the reply.
Will go through all that today hopefully. :)
JackOats

Post by JackOats »

@scottgus

Hi,

Well, I've started working through the trouble shooting guide from Socratis today:
TroubleshootingSocratis.Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 17.53.28.jpg
TroubleshootingSocratis.Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 17.53.28.jpg (42.61 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
But when I try to turn the VirtualBox Manager off (using the ACPI route) things seem to freeze up on me & I can't get any further:
VM Manager.Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 17.56.03.PNG
VM Manager.Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 17.56.03.PNG (122.46 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
VM Command.Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 17.56.33.PNG
VM Command.Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 17.56.33.PNG (94.07 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

What step were you at when the seize-up happened? A normally-operating VM OS is necessary for the general troubleshooting to work well.
JackOats

Post by JackOats »

Well, I read your message again today.
I opened up the VB Manager. I checked the VirtualBox website - to make sure of the ACPI route.
I tried to close down the Manager that way & experienced this freeze up.
That's about it really.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The Virtualbox Manager, shown in your second screenshot, doesn't shut down via any ACPI command, you can just close the window.

The VM might close with an ACPI command (the ACPI 'route'?) but that merely presses the VM's "power button". It is up to the VM's installed OS to respond to the 'power button' properly.

Where does the USB tutorial say to shut down either the Virtualbox Manager or the VM with an 'ACPI route'?
paulmc
Guest OSses: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows

Post by paulmc »

@JackOats, if I'm interpreting this correctly, you're attempting to cleanly shut down your macOS guest VM via the VBox Manager by selecting the VM and then using the 'Machine > Close > ACPI Shutdown' menu-item {the equivalent of a guest VM "container" app's own 'Machine > ACPI Shutdown' menu-item}. As moderator @scottgus1 pointed out, this is just the same as pressing the guest VM's virtual power-button.

With a recent macOS guest VM, that would bring up the usual prompt with choices to sleep, shut down or restart. Although, it might be more natural to power down a macOS guest VM in the traditional "soft" way from within the guest OS itself, e.g., via its ' > Shut Down…' menu-item, which would bring up that same prompt {or via a 'shutdown now' command in Terminal, which (if memory serves) would bypass that prompt}.

However, if your guest VM isn't shutting down cleanly in general, that would be a rather different issue. I noticed in your original thread you said that you "downloaded the Sierra ISO image file from an internet site". That must be an unofficial download, since Apple doesn't currently release macOS Installers in ISO format.

If you are indeed experiencing shutdown problems, you could instead try making an ISO from one of Apple's official Installer apps. As moderator @mpack mentioned in that original thread, you'd usually follow the '[HowTo] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app' guide in this forum; as indicated in that guide, there's also a Installer-App-to-ISO GUI converter program available if you'd rather not use the Terminal. Note that for technical reasons in VBox {which may have a problem with Sierra Installers later than v10.12.3}, it might be best to make an El Capitan guest VM, and then upgrade it to Sierra via the guest's Mac App Store.
JackOats

Post by JackOats »

@scottgus1
Where does the USB tutorial say to shut down either the Virtualbox Manager or the VM with an 'ACPI route'?
Please see line highlighted in blue, 1st screenshot below.
The tutorial specifies the VM to be 'not running' before entering the commands. I took that to mean the Virtual Machine.
In the User Guide, section 1.8.6. 'Saving the State of the Machine', closing down the Virtual Machine via the ACPI button seems to be the preferred method.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the info, Jack. Please take note of Paulmc's thoughts above your post, they seem spot-on to a non-Mac-guru like me.
paulmc wrote:it might be more natural to power down a macOS guest VM in the traditional "soft" way from within the guest OS itself, e.g., via its ' > Shut Down…' menu-item
All the tutorial wants in the line you highlighted is to just get the VM to shut down normally, then to start the listed diagnostic tests.

If your VM is not shutting down correctly, then look closely into Paul's info. If the VM glitched just this once and it normally shuts down correctly, then shut it down in the usual way, ignore the glitch, and gather the diagnostic information.

Thanks, Paulmc, for your informative posts and the help you've been giving in the forums!
JackOats

Post by JackOats »

@paulmc

Hi & thanks very much for the message.

Have deleted this Virtual Machine & am looking at creating a new one, using the Apple Help links you very kindly sent.

Hope to post something soon. :)
JackOats

Post by JackOats »

@paulmc

Hi,
Well, I've just tried the https://www.whatroute.net/installerapp2iso.html link, as suggested, & all goes well until this error message appears:
Screenshot 2020-12-06 at 19.56.27 2.png
Screenshot 2020-12-06 at 19.56.27 2.png (116.56 KiB) Viewed 5651 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Jack, since the subject of this topic started as a question about USB devices in a VM, please start a new topic about installing a Mac OS in your VM. Then when you get a stable Mac VM, come back here to fix the USB issue.

You might not get the help you need to install properly under the subject of this topic.
paulmc
Guest OSses: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows

Post by paulmc »

I agree with @scottgus1 that it would be better to start a new thread for this Installer-app-to-ISO conversion issue. {Or, maybe continue the original 'Setting up problem' thread?}

One thing I should quickly mention here is that it looks like the actual error occurred a few lines earlier in the log, i.e., "Error erasing disk error number (22, 0)". I believe that other folks with Catalina Macs have encountered this issue. If possible, perhaps via a friend or at work, try to run the converter application on another Mac with an earlier macOS version such as Mojave or High Sierra. {I've never had a problem running that converter under High Sierra.}

{BTW, thanks for all the kind words. It's really no problem for me joining others in helping out whenever I can, since I in turn have received lots of help online over the years. :-)}
JackOats

Post by JackOats »

@scottgus/paulmc

Hi Guys - Thanks very much for the messages & kind suggestions.

Putting this on the 'back burner' for the time being 'till I can figure out where I am going wrong.

Many thanks for all your help so far. Much appreciated.