Stuck!? installing High Sierra inside Ventura 13.2.1

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Tom Z

Stuck!? installing High Sierra inside Ventura 13.2.1

Post by Tom Z »

Am trying to install high sierra on a Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 iMac running Vetura 13.2.1 with VirtualBox 7.0

I get to the point where I'm trying to install high sierra and get to a window that says "HighSIerra [running}:1" at the top and a bunch of lines of code in the window.

The last line says "Shell>_" (see attached)
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 11.01.52 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 11.01.52 AM.png (122.74 KiB) Viewed 6837 times
When ever I click inside the window I get a long prompt that says "You have clicked the mouse inside the virtual display or pressed the host key..." and ends with "the host key is currently defined as Left..." (cmd key) and then gives a "cancel" or "capture" button.

when I click cancel the buttons go away. When I click "capture" the cursor for the mouse disappears and does not allow me to do anything other that type inside the window with the "Shell>" prompt (see attached)
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 11.02.18 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 11.02.18 AM.png (111.47 KiB) Viewed 6837 times
I am stuck at that point and have to force quit VirtualBox and do not how to proceed with the highsierra installation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Stuck!? installing High Sierra inside Ventura 13.2.1

Post by granada29 »

From what I can see in your screenshots, you have not provided a bootable installer to your VM. VirtualBox does NOT provide the OS and you have to download the macOS Installer for your required version from Apple.

Please take a look at viewtopic.php?f=22&t=81443 for methods to create the required bootable ISO file from the High Sierra Installer application.

Your VM settings look a little suspect as well. Reduce the number of CPUs to 2, increase Video Memory to 128MB, Disable Audio.

How much free memory do you have on your host? You have specified 4GB, which may be reasonable, but it's one of the things you need to check.

You can change these after you have completed the installation, but it's best to start with a modest configuration.