OVB upgrade on Linux Mint

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
Logik

OVB upgrade on Linux Mint

Post by Logik »

Guys,

What is the best way upgrade OVB on Linux Mint (Sarah). I initially had 5.1.2 (Installed using virtualbox-5.1_5.1.2-108956-Ubuntu-xenial_amd64.deb). The I got notification for 5.1.8. I downloaded .deb and using Gddebi I installed OVB and then extension packs. No error faced during installation. All i did was to close existing running OVM and shutdown guest VM.

Thing is, after this upgrade I am not able to create a VM (Guest OS: NexentaStor), which I could do earlier easily. So seems something went wrong during upgrade. I was only using windows XP VM before upgrade and its working fine as of now.

I am wondering if there is any other sophisticated way of upgrading

-M
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: OVB upgrade on Linux Mint

Post by Perryg »

Post the /var/log/vbox-install.log ( as an attachment )
Also do you know if the 5.1.2 install you had was from virtualbox.or or the OS repo?
Logik

Post by Logik »

Hi Perryg,

1) Here is log install log:- (Note: replace (dot) with actual . )
pastebin(dot)com/raw/JQeDzxBE

2) The .deb I downloaded from the official site of the OVB. No mint repo were used

3) As I mentioned earlier: The XP VM which was there with 5.1.2 is running fine without any issues. Only thing is I am not able to create new nexenta (Kind of like ZFS storage running open solaris) VM which I could create earlier without any issues. The moment I try to boot VM from ISO, it just freezes of install screen. Using same ISO I was able to create VM earlier with 5.1.2
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Perryg wrote:Post the /var/log/vbox-install.log ( as an attachment )
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Since nexenta is closely related to Solaris and it appears to be more of a guest related issue I am moving this to to Solaris guests. They may be able to help you more there.
Logik

Post by Logik »

Perryg,

You're missing the point. Before I upgraded the virtual box, I could easily create the nexenta VM. After upgrade, i couldn't even get past the 2nd screen during installation. Thats why I thought it could be upgrade issue. Did you get chance to look into logs?

Edit1:- I couldn't upload the log since its exceeding the 128K limit here. Here is link to logs: http://pastebin.com/raw/JQeDzxBE
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Logik wrote:I couldn't upload the log since its exceeding the 128K limit here.
Even if you ZIP it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.