Solaris 10 1-13: How to use CDE vs the default windowing system?

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
GDSEntropy

Solaris 10 1-13: How to use CDE vs the default windowing system?

Post by GDSEntropy »

Hello,

I first attempted to search for relevant answers to this question by entering "cde" in the search box, but got zero hits, even though I have seen posts containing that text. I have never had much luck with these infernal forum search engines...so my apologies..

What I am wondering is how to utilize CDE instead of whatever windowing system comes with the Solaris 10 1-13 VM. From what I have read, this was the last version of the OS to ship with CDE as an option, but I cannot find anything about using it alone after much searching with Google. I suppose this is not an oft requested thing, and so there are relatively few pages with the instructions I seek. Most answers were for accomplishing the precise inverse of what I am trying to do.

Can anyone point me to a resource which can detail the process of switching to CDE, or provide the one shot commands required to launch it instead of the current windowing system, in perpetuity?

Before anyone asks why I should seek to resurrect such an archaic windowing system: I just like CDE, it stays out of my way and hits the nostalgia sweet spot.

I do not like the idea of attempting to build CDE from the SourceForge repo, for many reasons, not the least of which is that it is incomplete and is missing much requisite to one being able to drop it into a "modern" *nix distro, and Solaris 10 seemed like the easiest way to get where I want to be.

If there is an easier way, such as a relatively modern distribution that I have missed that comes with CDE [not a clone] ready to go, please let me know before I get too deep in the rabbit hole.

I am going to be writing all of the software which I intend to use in whichever distro I end up going with, and the only real requirement is that it use CDE and that it be sufficiently modern that it supports utilization of Mono and the latest C++ version without much effort.

I will fill in the blanks regarding intended use and the overall point of it all, for those curious, as by now those who aren't in the camp of complete apathy beyond the pure technical aspects of my query are probably wondering precisely what in the heck this random dude is up to, due to this whole thing likely being somewhat of an outlier as compared to most posts coming through the pipeline here.

So, short answer: I am building my own machine, which will run my own software intended to explore eldritch combinations of Cellular Automata, Genetic Algorithms, Neural Networks/AI, and Reaction-Diffusion PDE solvers for production of generative art and generalized exploratory software engineering. I like CDE, it makes me happy, I think it is beautiful, it is light weight as should be, to such an extent as is possible, the distro I will use. CDE in my display hemisphere will make a nice accompaniment to late night coding in the dim red light of my pipe smoke filled dev room. :twisted:

I appreciate your assistance.

Ian McDonald
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Solaris 10 1-13: How to use CDE vs the default windowing system?

Post by socratis »

Just to be clear, this is not a VirtualBox related question, is it?
But, let's hope that someone has an answer for you. Or Google it perhaps? Without thinking about it being a Virtual Machine?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
GDSEntropy

Post by GDSEntropy »

Indeed it is VirtualBox related [*edit: related as in VB is hosting the OS, but not related as in applying to VB itself], but unless the commands to do what I require differ substantially between that which must be issued to the VM and an installed version, which for all I know is entirely possible, I would lean toward the answer being substantially the same.

As stated previously, Google was my first stop; asking any other person any sort of question about any topic is always my absolute last resort. :wink:
GDSEntropy

Post by GDSEntropy »

I finally found out how to do what I wanted; it turns out they made it really freaking easy, and so I entirely overlooked the thing due to my expectation of only being able to do this from the terminal:

From the login screen, select Options>Common Desktop Environment

That is all you have to do. :roll: :lol: