Since 5.1.4 update, Xwindows is "broken"

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
Bugs Bunny

Since 5.1.4 update, Xwindows is "broken"

Post by Bugs Bunny »

Been running the same Solaris 10 VM on my Windows 7 64 bit PC for a few months. WIth VirtualBox updates 5.1, I was no longer able to complete my boot up of Solaris guest without it crashing back to the Windows desktop. No changes other than the VB update in Windows and then the need to boot up the Solaris and update the additions. However, cannot get that far, it would blow up. Done updates plenty of times prior with no issues so this seems strange.

If I did a fresh install, I could proceed as normal up to a point. Once I loaded on Solaris the custom application I run, it would crash back to the desktop again. Also, I've tried this on multiple WIndows hosts with different chipsets and video cards. It crashes.

Then 5.1.4 came out, I can now do a complete boot cycle, but my Solaris guest comes up as 800x600. Previously, it would momentarily come up in 800x600 on boot and once it did its scans, switch to 1920x1080 as expected. The only way I can keep my Solaris guest alive seems to be if I increase the video ram to 256MB via a vboxmanage modifyvm command. Before, I could run at 128MB. This might be a red herring, but it definitely makes a difference now.

If I do an Xrandr command once its done booting, I can easily get it to go to 1920x1080 in the guest screen. Something obviously changed once 5.1 came along and as far as my troubleshooting can tell, something is not talking with XWindows on my Solaris host and the vboxvideo driver in virtualbox. I'm trying to determine if virtualbox is now doing/expecting something different with handling Xwindows and/or do I need to make a changes to my app on my end.

I'm attaching my lengthy Xorg.0.log file wherein its stuck at 800x600 unless I manually intervene with a xrandr command. Can anyone help me out here? I super appreciate it. If I need to load anything further, please let me know. This is my time asking for help in the virtualbox community.
Attachments
Xorg.0.log
(49.45 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: Since 5.1.4 update, Xwindows is "broken"

Post by frank »

Which is the last version of VirtualBox which worked for you? Does VBox 5.0.26 (including 5.0.26 Guest Additions) work as expected?
Bugs Bunny

Post by Bugs Bunny »

The last version I believe worked was 5.0.20 on my PC. I believe others might have 5.0.26 running. Since I posted my question, my 1 week old PC had the SDD die, so I can't troubleshoot or pull logs files right now. I'm also on the road this week, so I can't ask around easily. Realistically, I won't have a platform to test again until end of next week :( Is there anything that can be looked at in the meantime? Does my log file show anything of substance?
Bugs Bunny

Post by Bugs Bunny »

Finally got my PC back working and was able to confirm that if I use version 5.0.16, my windows autosize as expected.

I had latest version of Vbox installed (5.1.4). When running my VM, window will not go beyond 800x600 unless I manually resize it with xrandr command. Uninstall VBox Additions. Then uninstall Vbox in Windows and reinstall 5.0.16. Rinstall VBox Additions in my Solaris VM. Now when I boot the VM, windows resize as expected all the way up to my 1920x1080 monitor size.

So whatever changed in 5.1.4, it preventing Xwindows from resizing automatically. Not the end of the world and the xrandr is a work around, but obviously something has changed in 5.1.4.