Solaris 10 Guest Bridged Network IP Address

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
rutsolaris

Solaris 10 Guest Bridged Network IP Address

Post by rutsolaris »

Virtual Box: 5.0.8
Host: Windows 8.1
Problem: I have 2 Solaris 10 (01/13) guests. One of the guests on boot throws an error message that there is an IP conflict. However, within the guest the IP address that is in hosts does not have a conflict. From reading the manual and many internet searches I do not see a way of changing the IP address that is assigned to the bridge. I assume it is coming from the network router which does have DHCP enabled but not in the address range that is being assigned to the guest. The second Solaris 10 guest works very well and as expected. The second guest was installed from a CD and the first guest (the one with the IP conflict) was installed by using a vdmk file that was running very well but slow on an ASUS laptop in the same network. So does any one know of problems when trying to install a Solaris 10 guest using an existing vdmk? The ASUS laptop was also running Windows 8.1.
rutsolaris

Re: Solaris 10 Guest Bridged Network IP Address

Post by rutsolaris »

Correction. The file extension is vmdk and not vdmk.
rutsolaris

Re: Solaris 10 Guest Bridged Network IP Address

Post by rutsolaris »

OK, I will reply to my post with the fix. I finally got back into the problem and I shutdown the device with the conflicting IP. I then started the Solaris guest with the IP problem. I changed the IP address to a non-conflicting value and then re-started the guest, checked to make sure the IP address was changed using ifconfig. Then I shutdown the guest and I started the device with the conflicting IP address. After it started I then started the Solaris guest and the conflict was gone.