Audio no longer emits sound starting with VBOX 5.0.X

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
fedora_host_sol_guest
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Solaris-11.3, PC-BSD-10.2, Slackware-14

Audio no longer emits sound starting with VBOX 5.0.X

Post by fedora_host_sol_guest »

The host system is Fedora 22 (x86_64) and the guest is Solaris 11.3 (x86_64). The problem was noticed only today since I rarely use Solaris for its multimedia capabilities. The host is set to the default of PulseAudio and the guest to the default of ICH AC97 and "Enable Audio" is checked.

However, the problem is one that is readily replicated and it's definitely version related:

VirtualBox-4.3.30-101610-Linux_amd64.run - Sound IS heard from the Solaris guest.

VirtualBox-5.0.0-101573-Linux_amd64.run (and all subsequent 5.0.X versions) - Sound is NOT heard from the Solaris guest.

There are no errors on the guest. All Solaris audio applications behave as if they were emitting sound. The mixer (both the GUI and CLI) show the levels are properly set and show no errors or warnings. The host also shows the "VirtualBox: Solaris11.x86_64" slider indicator at full scale and it can be manipulated. The problem is simply that no audio is emitted.

The problem is NOT confined only to Solaris guests. It also occurs with any of the *BSDs as well. Moreover, the Solaris variant of OpenIndiana-Hipster likewise behaves the same as does the legacy Solaris10.x86_86 guest. In short, any non-Linux guest produces no sound whereas all Linux guests do produce sound in both the 4.3.X and 5.0.X versions.

Regressing to to any of the 4.3.YY versions solves the problem with no other changes in the VirtualBox guest settings.
fedora_host_sol_guest

Re: Audio no longer emits sound starting with VBOX 5.0.X

In the initial post in this thread, I failed to note the audio hardware on the Linux host system:

HDA Intel PCH, Chip: Realtek ALC887-VD
It's an ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V LX (Quad-Core Hyper-Threaded Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz)
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

These kinds of problems that are reproducible should be reported to bugtracker.
It would also help if you can post the ticket number here so other can see the progress, add information, or see the final results.
fedora_host_sol_guest

I have submitted Ticket #14684 on the matter I raised in this thread. Two logging files were attached.