Install steps: Solaris 11 with bridge and host-only network

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
energysaverMD
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Debian, Solaris

Install steps: Solaris 11 with bridge and host-only network

Post by energysaverMD »

I was trying to install Solaris 11 Guest OS with bridge and host-only networking, and ran into some problems. After a bit of struggle, I got it to work. These steps may be useful to others in my situation. Also I am no VB/Solaris expert - so there may be better ways !!

Goal
I already had two ubuntu Guest OSes with bridge and host-only and wanted a third Guest OS one with Solaris 11.

My environment (before):
Host OS: Mac OS X 10.9
Guest OS1: Ubuntu 64 bit with two network interfaces eth0: bridge, eth1: host-only
Guest OS2: Ubuntu 64 bit with two network interfaces eth0: bridge, eth1: host-only

My environment (after):
Host OS: Mac OS X 10.9
Guest OS1: Ubuntu 64 bit with two network interfaces eth0: bridge, eth1: host-only
Guest OS2: Ubuntu 64 bit with two network interfaces eth0: bridge, eth1: host-only
Guest OS3: Solaris 11.1 64 bit with two network interfaces net0: bridge, net1: host-only

Why bridge + host-only?
- I use bridge network so that Guest OS services can be available outside, as each guest OS acquires address from the Host’s network space e.g. your home wireless.
- I use host-only so I have an internal network with its own IP space that do not change with location. Example 1: I can use ssh from my host to guests using fixed IP. Example 2: I have Oracle server running on one of the Guests that all Guests (and Host) can use without having to change Oracle server IP each new location.

VB 'main' setup for host-only networking - one-time
Host-only is an internal network shared between Guests and the Host. You will need to choose a private IP space for this network. In virtual box main preference (not guest OS setting), choose preferences -> network tab -> host-only. It will show something like vboxnet0 as the host-only adapter. Choose pencil (edit) icon to edit. Choose address space that does not conflict with your LAN or your other location networks. I chose 192.168.56.100 with static range 101-199 and DHCP range 201-254.

Downloading Solaris 11
You should be downloading a file something like sol-11_1-text-x86.iso or a zip file containing that. As always, it is your responsibility to comply with licensing and registration requirements of the respective sites. I searched Solaris 11 VM download and downloaded generic x86 text install (about 585MB) version.

I think Solaris 11 also have a Virtual Box template created. I had problem downloading that (much larger 1.7GB, instead of 585MB), so did not try that.

VB Guest OS install with Solaris 11
VB Guest OS creation:
Using Virtual Box main app, choose ‘new’ and I used solaris type and solaris 11 (64bit) for OS. Please follow the Guest OS setup in VB (I am skipping details) choosing memory, disk etc. I chose memory 2GB and disk 20GB, and defaults for the rest. Other values may work. Complete the creation process. Your guest OS setup is now in Powered Off state in VB.

Guest OS Settings Bridge-network setting (adaptor 1):
In VB main app, choose your guest OS and choose ‘setting’. Then choose ‘Network’. Select the bridged Adapter as the adapter 1 type and select the appropriate network hardware to be used from the host machine. I use Wi-Fi network in the host machine so I selected the Wifi Airport.

Guest OS Settings Host-only setting (adaptor 2):
Choose adaptor 2 and check-box enable it. Choose in drop down ‘host-only’ adaptor type. It should automatically fill vboxnet0 we setup earlier.

Solaris 11 install:
In the VB main, ‘start’ the guest OS. For the first time boot of the virtual machine, choose solaris 11 text install ISO image location and click start to start the installation. (see screenshot). This is the ISO file you downloaded above. Solaris installation will start and prompt thru text prompts. Note this ISO file is used like a CD/DVD install and you must remove after installation is complete (else it will restart the install process again due to default boot process :) ).

Solaris install setups I used:
- choose keyboard US-english
- choose language English
- choose install Oracle Solaris (should be option 1)
- follow prompts (note use of function keys, [not return key] to continue) and choose to install on local disks
- follow default partition and use entire disk
- choose hostname when prompted or use default
- choose ‘Automatically’ setup network
- choose location zone and timezone and date format
- choose root password, user name, userid and user password
- if you have oracle support, you can also setup support email
- choose ‘no proxy’ for internet access

:) Remove the ISO image (else it will restart installation) from your disk. You may also disable CD/DVD thru VB settings for the VM.

Enabling Graphical GUI on Solaris:
By default, solaris is installed with no gui. If you use as server, this is probably ok. If you need gnome desktop, you could do the following:

Code: Select all

> sudo pkg install solaris-desktop
> sudo init 6
VB Guest OS Running
Shutdown your guest OS and reboot guest OS from VB main screen. When start is complete, login at the commend line in Solaris using the login you created (or use your GNOME gui). Note for any root access, you could use sudo. Your network should be all good with two interfaces automatically setup. At command line, mine looks something like this:

netadm command shows we are using Automatic NCP, two NCUs for the two adaptors. DefaultFixed NCP is disabled.

ux234@solaris1:~$ netadm list
TYPE        PROFILE        STATE
ncp         Automatic      online
ncu:phys    net0           online
ncu:phys    net1           online
ncu:ip      net0           online
ncu:ip      net1           online
ncp         DefaultFixed   disabled
loc         Automatic      online
loc         NoNet          offline
loc         DefaultFixed   offline

ux234@solaris1:~$ ipadm show-if
IFNAME     CLASS    STATE    ACTIVE OVER
lo0        loopback ok       yes    --
net0       ip       ok       yes    --
net1       ip       ok       yes    --
ipadm address shows the two IP addreses. In my case 192.168.2.13 is the bridge-adaptor IP using address space of my home wireless network. 192.168.56.201 is the host-only internal ip address used between Mac OS and Guests. If I use my Mac in Starbucks my net0 IP will change but 192.168.56.201 on net1 will remain unchanged

ux234@solaris1:~$ ipadm show-addr
ADDROBJ           TYPE     STATE        ADDR
lo0/v4            static   ok           127.0.0.1/8
net0/v4           dhcp     ok           192.168.2.13/24
net1/v4           dhcp     ok           192.168.56.201/24
lo0/v6            static   ok           ::1/128
net0/v6           addrconf ok           fe80::a00:27ff:fe03:17f8/10
net1/v6           addrconf ok           fe80::a00:27ff:fe6e:ec26/10
Example uses of host-only
From the Mac Host OS, I can ssh to guest OS using the host-only IPs.

22:39:41 ~ $ssh ux234@192.168.56.101
Welcome to Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.8.0-29-generic x86_64)

System information as of Sun Jul  6 21:01:07 EDT 2014

System load:  0.0                Processes:           89
  Usage of /:   53.6% of 12.43GB   Users logged in:     0
  Memory usage: 4%                 IP address for eth0: 192.168.2.12
  Swap usage:   0%                 IP address for eth1: 192.168.56.101

5 packages can be updated.
5 updates are security updates.

Last login: Sun Jul  6 18:40:19 2014 from xxxx-macbook-air.local
ux234@ubuntu1:~$ 
ux234@ubuntu1:~$ exit
logout
Connection to 192.168.56.101 closed.
 22:40:26 ~ $ssh ux234@192.168.56.102
Welcome to Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.8.0-35-generic x86_64)

System information as of Sun Jul  6 22:40:31 EDT 2014

System load:  0.0               Processes:           75
  Usage of /:   18.6% of 8.82GB   Users logged in:     0
  Memory usage: 5%                IP address for eth0: 192.168.2.18
  Swap usage:   0%                IP address for eth1: 192.168.56.102

5 packages can be updated.
5 updates are security updates.

Last login: Sat Jul  5 14:51:31 2014 from 192.168.56.100
ux234@ubuntu2:~$ exit
logout
Connection to 192.168.56.102 closed.
 22:40:35 ~ $ssh ux234@192.168.56.201
Last login: Sun Jul  6 14:25:18 2014 from 192.168.56.100
Oracle Corporation      SunOS 5.11      11.1    September 2012
ux234@solaris1:~$ 
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Install steps: Solaris 11 with bridge and host-only netw

Post by loukingjr »

It was nice of you to share the information but it might have been better served posted to the Using VirtualBox section or the Solaris Guests section. There is nothing Mac specific about your post.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Moved to "Solaris Guests".
Ganapathy

Post by Ganapathy »

You've not mentioned how to bring up net1 interface on solaris guest. Could you please? I am trying to do a similar setup but the host-only nw ifc is not working! Can't ping either way! I'm using Linux Ubuntu 14.04 as host and SmartOS as guest. Please let me know what information do I need to provide.

Thanks,
Ganapathy