Display setting error in installing

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
Jajji

Display setting error in installing

Post by Jajji »

Hello,
I was installing solaris as guest os when I received this message.
"The virtual machine window is optimized to work in 32 bit color mode but the virtual display is currently set to 16 bit.
Please open the display properties dialog of the guest OS and select a 32 bit color mode, if it is available, for best possible performance of the virtual video subsystem.
Some operating systems, like OS/2, may actually work in 32 bit mode but report it as 24 bit (16 million colors). You may try to select a different color mode to see if this message disappears or you can simply disable the message now if you are sure the required color mode (32 bit) is not available in the guest OS."

I tried lot but cannot get through.
Can anybody help me to solve this error.
Thanks.
Jajji
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Display setting error in installing

Post by mpack »

If it was a Solaris guest then why are you posting in the "Windows Guests" forum? Moving you to the correct forum now.

The message is a warning, and normal. Installing the guest additions and changing the display color depth is how you really fix it, but in the meantime tick the "don't show this message again" checkbox and you will not see it again.
Jajji

Post by Jajji »

Thanks,
I have also face the same problem when I installed windows xp.When I check the box dont show me this message the Vbox hangs. I was unsuccessful in installing guest additions as I have no guest os installed yet.
thanks,
jajji
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If you have a guest VM which hangs during startup then post the VM log here. The VM log is the file "VBox.log", stored in the "Logs" subfolder of the VM folder. Post it here as a zipped attachment please.
Jajji

Post by Jajji »

Here is the attached log file. Thanks,
Jajji
Attachments
Log.zip
(48.29 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

IIRC Solaris 11 requires VT-x/AMD-v (hardware virtualization) and your processor does not support that.