Solaris 10 - no bootable medium found

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
justinrpg
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP Ubuntu Fedora LinuxMint Mageia

Solaris 10 - no bootable medium found

Post by justinrpg »

I cannot install Solaris 10! every time I try to run the newly created VM with the Solaris 10 ISO mounted I get the following error "No Bootable Medium Found. System Halted."! I have the ISO attached to VirtualBox but still get that error! how do I fix this???
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Solaris 10 - no bootable medium found

Post by mpack »

The error message means exactly what it says. It means that a CD (or ISO) is not present, or not bootable. Check also that you have not disabled CD boot in the VM settings.

I was going to ignore you, but decided to overlook your usual excessive punctuation this time - but please cut it out from now on. The excessive use of ! and ? characters imparts a shrieking and/or demanding tone to your messages; which is quite annoying given that we volunteer our time here, unpaid, and when the support given to you is essentially a gift.
justinrpg
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP Ubuntu Fedora LinuxMint Mageia

Post by justinrpg »

the CD is there... it is in the devices... it is mounted int Daemon Tools as drive G and drive G is attached... I don't know what else could be wrong?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

You don't need to burn the ISO image to a CD. Just mount the ISO image to the Virtual CD in the guest settings.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You also do not need to mount the ISO in Daemon tools on the host. Mount it directly in the VM. The advantage of having an ISO is that the VM can use it without any possibility of interference by the host - as might be possible if you used a host drive. Mounting the ISO as a virtual host drive IMHO therefore defeats the purpose, in addition to being not necessary.