Does Solaris 11 run under virtbox 4.1.10?

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
wfiveash

Does Solaris 11 run under virtbox 4.1.10?

Post by wfiveash »

I've been running Solaris 11 as a Virtual Box 4.1.8 guest on a OS X 10.7.3 host for a while and I'm thinking about updating Virtual Box to 4.1.10. Anyone know if this is safe?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Does Solaris 11 run under virtbox 4.1.10?

Post by mpack »

If you are concerned about questions such as that then you should always make a backup before you try any change to a working system. Nothing anyone here can say should change that.

In any case, v4.1.10 is just one maintenance release away from the version you already have. I.e. a few bugs fixed per the release history, and otherwise no change. You should be safe, but as always you try it without a backup at your own risk.
wfiveash

Re: Does Solaris 11 run under virtbox 4.1.10?

Post by wfiveash »

mpack wrote:If you are concerned about questions such as that then you should always make a backup before you try any change to a working system. Nothing anyone here can say should change that.

In any case, v4.1.10 is just one maintenance release away from the version you already have. I.e. a few bugs fixed per the release history, and otherwise no change. You should be safe, but as always you try it without a backup at your own risk.
Of course, backups are good but if there are known problems avoiding the update, fail, restore dance saves me time and trouble. Anyway, I went ahead and updated to 4.1.10 and my Solaris 11 guest appears to be working (note that I was seeing some odd behavior with the gnome-terminal sessions where they appeared to hang meaning that keystrokes were not echoed back and commands where not being run). Once I rebooted my MacBook Pro laptop and started the Solaris 11 guest again I did not see that problem. In fact, I've since been able to build the full Solaris OS in that S11 guest so it's working well enough for me.