CPU fault simulation to show how PSH works

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
bornemju
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: opensolaris, Linux, Win8, OpenSTEP, ChromeOS

CPU fault simulation to show how PSH works

Post by bornemju »

I'm using openSOLARIS 11 in a VirtualBox vm and would like to demonstrate my students how PSH (predictive self healing) acts when a cpu fault occurs. I assigned 2 cpu's to the virtual machine and what I want to do, is to shutdown one of them during runtime to simulate a faulty cpu. psrinfo should then show, that one cpu is faulted. I'm a lecturer for operating systems and organic computing and would like to demonstrate the self healing features of an OS like openSOLARIS PSH.

During openSOLARIS runs, I couldn't change the number of cpu's assigned to the vm. I use an i7-cpu with 4 cores. VirtualBox shows me 8 cpu's of course of the HT-function of the i7. 2 of them I assigned to the openSOLARIS vm. I would be very thankful for working solutions.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Re: CPU fault simulation to show how PSH works

Post by vbox4me2 »

I think you will end up programming something yourself with the OSE version, or you might try teleportation from a two cpu vm setup to a one cpu setup.
bornemju
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: opensolaris, Linux, Win8, OpenSTEP, ChromeOS

Post by bornemju »

"I think you will end up programming something yourself with the OSE version, or you might try teleportation from a two cpu vm setup to a one cpu setup."

I actually don't have the time for programming my own solution, because I'll shortly demonstrate this feature to my students. I thought, that Sun Microsystems (now Oracle) had written a PSH demonstration tool to simulate a cpu fault during runtime.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

If they have written such a tool then it must be written to work in a VM and may need exclusive cpu access (ring 0) which probably won't work in a virtual environment.