share files between Windows7 and Solaris 10U9 under VM

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
Ehab
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Solaris10U9

share files between Windows7 and Solaris 10U9 under VM

Post by Ehab »

How can I create a shared folder between windows7 as a main OS and Solaris10u9_x86 under VM ? That option inside oracle VM about shared folders does not work ?
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Re: share files between Windows7 and Solaris 10U9 under VM

Post by Ramshankar »

Install the guest additions for Solaris 10U9. Check the user manual section 4.2 (installing guest additiosn) and section 4.3 (Shared Folders).
Oracle Corp.
Ehab

Post by Ehab »

I downloaded the additions concernning the Solaris10 as a guest . I installed VM version 4.0.12 and the solaris 10 additions version 4.0.10 and I had this error messages :

kthread :t:tpreet at 42
many messages
mod-module : can not load module vbox module
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

This is unfortunately a regression in VirtualBox 4.1 and 4.0.12. Use VirtualBox 4.0.10 additions with any host version until the next releases fix it.
Oracle Corp.
Ehab

Post by Ehab »

You can notice my original message that I already work with fully version 4.0.12 with the additions version 4.0.10 with no use and the same error message ???.

A little comment . Why this all suffering by installing service pack and additions ? Why not included in the same original version .
Thanks
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

Ehab wrote:You can notice my original message that I already work with fully version 4.0.12 with the additions version 4.0.10 with no use and the same error message ???.

A little comment . Why this all suffering by installing service pack and additions ? Why not included in the same original version .
Thanks
Please post the exact message, the thread preempt warning lines are normal informative messages not errors. You've not posted the actual error.

Guest additions are included in the base package as a .ISO, and this issue has nothing to do with the extension pack.
Oracle Corp.
DAGwyn
Guest OSses: Solaris, Plan9, Ubuntu, Fedora

Post by DAGwyn »

I can confirm that the VB instructions for sharing a folder between a Windows 7 (64-bit) host and Solaris 10u9 guest with guest extensions enabled *do* work.
In my case, first I made my host's E:/WORK folder sharable (share name "work") on the host (right-click folder icon, Properties, Sharing, Share, Share, Done),
ran Cmd.exe on the host (Start button, enter "Cmd.exe" in "Search programs and files" box) and entered:
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
VboxManage sharedfolder add "Solaris" --name "work" --hostpath "E:\WORK"
exit
created a directory /work on the guest, then I added the following as the last line of /etc/vfstab on the guest:
work - /work vboxfs - yes nosuid
then (in a terminal window as root user) gave the command: "mount work",
after which I can access the shared contents of the host folder under /work on the guest.
(The entry in /etc/vfstab ensures that it will be automatically mounted upon all subsequent boots.)