Mount options on shared folders in Solaris guest

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
mikebo

Mount options on shared folders in Solaris guest

Post by mikebo »

Greetings -
I'm running VirtualBox 3.2.10 on a Windows 7 64-bit host, with a Solaris 10 U9 guest. Shared folders mount up OK, but every directory and file appears to have 777 permissions. I'd like directories to have 755, and normal files to have 644 permissions.

So, I've tried to use mount options that I've read about being used with various Linux Oses - namely dmode and fmode, dmask and fmask. Unfortunately, these don't seem to work with Solaris.

# mount -F vboxfs -o uid=501,gid=501,dmode=755,fmode=644 mp3 /share/mp3
# cd /share/mp3
# ls -l
total 431
drwxrwxrwx 1 mikebo mikebo 0 Dec 8 2007 Blues
drwxrwxrwx 1 mikebo mikebo 0 Apr 17 2008 Jazz
drwxrwxrwx 1 mikebo mikebo 0 Sep 16 09:29 Rock
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mikebo mikebo 220353 Sep 21 02:02 cds.txt

I was hoping that the dmode and fmode mount options were part of vboxfs, but perhaps they are Linux specific, or just don't work properly under Solaris.

Can anyone offer advice on how to force file mode/permissions as described? Thanks!

Regards,
mikebo
DAGwyn
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Plan9, Ubuntu, Fedora

Re: Mount options on shared folders in Solaris guest

Post by DAGwyn »

I think the problem is that there is no good mapping between Solaris access permissions and Windows access permissions, so the VB implementors didn't try to impose one.
You can mount a filesystem read-only ("ro" option), but so far as I can determine there is nothing finer-grained available on Solaris for your purpose.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Re: Mount options on shared folders in Solaris guest

Post by Ramshankar »

@mikebo:

You are correct, the Solaris shared folders code doesn't currently recognize the directory, file mode & masks parameters. I've implemented this now, would you be willing to give the new shared folders module a try? I can upload a new additions package if you can test this.

In any case, thanks for the report.
Oracle Corp.