Solaris 8 CDE

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
sthomas93
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Solaris 8

Solaris 8 CDE

Post by sthomas93 »

I'm currently using VB version 3.1.8 to test patches and other system changes prior to moving to operational servers. I've installed Solaris 8 as a guest machine, but am having difficulty getting the CDE to load with my video drivers. Xfree86 drivers don't seem to help and I'm not that familiar with xhosts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Video Card (if it matters): Nvidia Quadro FX 2500M
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Re: Solaris 8 CDE

Post by sej7278 »

i'd say forget it, the X86 version of solaris 8 was pretty crumby and to get it working under vmware you had to do lots of hacking of graphics and network drivers, probably just the same with vbox.

its certainly not a fair enough comparison to a SPARC install of solaris 8 to be worth your time.

solaris containers may be a better option, make sure your sol8 zone is non-native (i.e. run solaris 10 as the global zone) plus it gives you an easier upgrade path for migrating away from solaris8.
markkevin123
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: ghghhj

Re: Solaris 8 CDE

Post by markkevin123 »

The CDE desktop is... different. The first noticeable difference is the tool bar at the bottom. Above each tool bar icon is an arrow that you can click to display a menu with related options. The menu will stay up until the arrow is clicked again or the close button on the menu is clicked. The menus can also be torn off in to free floating windows. The standard way for launching applications, however is through the right-click desktop menu. How about the other question I had ---

"... besides checking the option box (to select between full-screen and rootless mode operation) from the Preferences menu of X11.app, does anyone know if there is a command line flag to the X command which may be used (similar to startx -- -fullscreen for Xdarwin?)"

is there any command line flag?