Guest additions

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
Paolo_R
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS-DOS, Solaris, Open Solaris, FreeBSD, Kubuntu, Ubuntu

Guest additions

Post by Paolo_R »

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit + VB 3.1.6 + Solaris

I have attached Guest additions to my Solaris VM. When I boot Solaris, a CD icon of the Additions appears on my desk top. Am I supposed to install the Additions manually? I was under the impression that they would install automatically.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Re: Guest additions

Post by SSCBrian »

For Solaris, you'll want to get a command line, cd into the directory that they live in (/cdrom/vboxadditions_3.1.6_59338 is where mine are) and then do a pkgadd -d on the appropriate one for Solaris (VBoxSolarisAdditions.pkg on mine). If upgrading from a previous version, you'd have to do a pkgrm of the old ones first or the pkgadd will fail. When you can't remember the already installed package name (like I never seem to be able to), a "pkginfo | grep box" will help narrow down the choices of which one to remove in that case...
Paolo_R
Guest OSses: MS-DOS, Solaris, Open Solaris, FreeBSD, Kubuntu, Ubuntu

Post by Paolo_R »

Thanks for your help.

OK, that seems to have installed OK (once I discovered getting a command line meant opening a terminal!). I presume I no longer need to mount to Guest Additions.iso as they are now installed?
SSCBrian
Volunteer

Post by SSCBrian »

Paolo_R wrote:Thanks for your help.

OK, that seems to have installed OK (once I discovered getting a command line meant opening a terminal!). I presume I no longer need to mount to Guest Additions.iso as they are now installed?
That's correct.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

Autorun should work, you would not need to even open a terminal manually. Have you not tried double-clicking the mounted ISO?
Oracle Corp.
SSCBrian
Volunteer

Post by SSCBrian »

Ramshankar wrote:Autorun should work, you would not need to even open a terminal manually. Have you not tried double-clicking the mounted ISO?
Autorun doesn't work on Solaris & GNU/Linux distros that I've tried unless you're logged into the GUI as root (which is not recommended for it's own set of reasons).
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

On Solaris guests, the AutoRun will utilize pfexec if it's available and the user can assume the role of root. Otherwise it will check and use 'su' and prompt the user to enter a password. None of this requires logging into GDM (the GUI) as root.
Oracle Corp.
SSCBrian
Volunteer

Post by SSCBrian »

Ramshankar wrote:On Solaris guests, the AutoRun will utilize pfexec if it's available and the user can assume the role of root. Otherwise it will check and use 'su' and prompt the user to enter a password. None of this requires logging into GDM (the GUI) as root.
Interesting. Do you install Solaris with some special options? It's never done that for me on any of my various Solaris installs into VBox. Autorun just flashes real quick and nothing happens.