Can't Install Solaris 8 on VB 3.1.4

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
lvskiprof
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu, Red Hat

Can't Install Solaris 8 on VB 3.1.4

Post by lvskiprof »

I am trying to install a Solaris 8 6/00 Guest on Solaris 10 10/09 with a newly downloaded version of VirtualBox 3.1.4 to test running a Solaris 8 application on it that is failing under Solaris 10.

When I get it to start booting from the CD image after selecting Interactive it starts to come up (you see the info from /etc/release during the initial boot) and then it quickly gets a report of "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped." I can then click OK or Ignore.

This is running on a dual CPU system with 4GB of RAM. I have configured it for almost 2GB of RAM in the VM. All the devices show up when DCA probes for them, so I know that it can see all the virtual hardware I configured.

Is it even possible to run the older versions of Solaris under VirtualBox?

The only posts I see here are for Open Solaris and Solaris 10, both of which I have run under VB on my own systems just fine.

Mike
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Can't Install Solaris 8 on VB 3.1.4

Post by Perryg »

According to http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes
  • Solaris 10 5.08 and later
  • OpenSolaris 2008.05 and later
Are supported guests. I have not tried to get the older versions to run personally since they are not listed as supported.
lvskiprof
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu, Red Hat

Re: Can't Install Solaris 8 on VB 3.1.4

Post by lvskiprof »

I had hoped that it would simply work by providing the right virtual environment, since all the hardware devices are standard enough for the Solaris choices that they would work for Solaris 8.

Thanks.

Mike