Osol boot failure " int 15h function AX=ec00, BX=0003"

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
pdunlap
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OpenSolaris, WinXP, Ubuntu

Osol boot failure " int 15h function AX=ec00, BX=0003"

Post by pdunlap »

I recently upgraded my system with a new motherboard (DFI LanParty X48) and Intel Core 2 Q9400 processor. Host operating system is OpenSolaris build 133. Prior to the upgrade I had three guest OSes that were working fine: OpenSolaris build 132, Windows XP and Ubuntu. After the upgrade the OpenSolaris guest will no longer boot but the Windows XP and Ubuntu guests still work fine. I also tried booting an OpenSolaris live CD image which also failed. In all cases the guest appears to hang immediately after the OS is selected at the grub menu. It never actually gets to the point where it prints the Solaris banner.

I'm running VirtualBox 3.1.4 which was freshly installed from the "extra" repository after the hardware upgrade.

According to the log it looks like the last thing that happens is always this unsupported BIOS function:

00:02:33.031 Guest Log: BIOS: *** int 15h function AX=ec00, BX=0003 not yet supported!

The Solaris GRUB boot loader does use that function which would explain why it doesn't actually appear to load the Solaris kernel:

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/ ... asm.S#2659

But if that is really the problem I don't understand how the guest ever worked. I've attached the logfile and the output from "VBoxManage showvminfo" for the guest. Any suggestions are appreciated! It would be great I could get this working on the new host system. BTW, the new USB support is working fantastic! I can use both my iPhone and my PowerTap USB download adapter (FTDI USB/Serial) on the WinXP guest which is really great.

-Peter
Attachments
workvm.vminfo.txt
Output from: VBoxManage showvminfo --details "Work VM"
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Work VM-2010-02-26-17-51-15.log
Example log of failed guest boot
(41.58 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
pdunlap
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OpenSolaris, WinXP, Ubuntu

Re: Osol boot failure " int 15h function AX=ec00, BX=0003"

Post by pdunlap »

Just to follow-up, I opened ticket #6311 for this issue.

-Peter