Can't get S10 GuestAdditions virtual CD to mount

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
TechDogg
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Solaris 10

Can't get S10 GuestAdditions virtual CD to mount

Post by TechDogg »

Now matter what I do, I cannot get the GuestAdditions virtual CD to mount.

Details: VB 3.1.2 r561127 on host Vista Home Premium OS 32-bit running guest S10 5/09 (Update 7, I believe), S10x_u7wos_08 (from sol-10-u7-ga-x86-dvd.iso).

I start Virtual Media Manager->CD/DVD Images tab->Add button->select VBoxGuestAdditions.iso that I downloaded, which is then attached, I guess, by VB.

Then, I start S10 Update 7 guest.

Then, I follow directions in the VB documentation:

4.5.1 Installing the Solaris Guest Additions
The VirtualBox Guest Additions for Solaris are provided on the same ISO CD-ROM as the Additions for Windows and Linux described above. They also come with an installation program guiding you through the setup process. Installation involves the following steps:

1. Mount the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file as your Solaris guest’s virtual CDROM drive, exactly the same way as described for a Windows guest in chapter 4.3.1.1, Mounting the Additions ISO file, page 62. If in case the CD-ROM drive on the guest doesn’t get mounted (observed on some versions of Solaris 10), execute as root:

svcadm restart volfs

2. Change to the directory where your CD-ROM drive is mounted and execute as root:

pkgadd -G -d ./VBoxSolarisAdditions.pkg

Problem is, I can't do step 2 because the virtual CD does not mount after I do step 1, and even after I restart volume management.

I even tried downloading and mounting the GuestAdditions virtual CD from the VB web site, but that simply creates an empty subdirectory in /cdrom (named vboxadditions_3.1.2_56127).

Could this problem be due to the way I've configured my S10u7 OS (right now, I've set up my guest S10u7 OS as a standalone system with no networking, which I plan to add later).

I'd try to somehow mount the virtual CD manually, but I'm not familiar with VB enough to mount a file system outside the guest OS (don't I need GuestAdditions to do that?). :(

Suggestions? Solutions? Explanations anyone?

-tech dogg
jkeil

Re: Can't get S10 GuestAdditions virtual CD to mount

Post by jkeil »

TechDogg wrote: I start Virtual Media Manager->CD/DVD Images tab->Add button->select VBoxGuestAdditions.iso that I downloaded, which is then attached, I guess, by VB.
I don't think that downloading the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso is necessary. Maybe you even
downloaded a wrong version of the guest additions iso...

Why don't you use the guest additions that is part of the virtualbox install?
What I do is start the guest, and use the guest's "Devices" -> "Install Guest Additions..."
menu entry (or Host-D keyboard shortcut), which inserts the correct guest additions
cd media into the guest's virtual cdrom drive (and the guest usually automatically starts
to install the additions from the cdrom)