Screen Resolution stuck at 640x480

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
KenJackson
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: WindowsXP, OpenSolaris

Screen Resolution stuck at 640x480

Post by KenJackson »

I was making progress with OpenSolaris until the screen resolution somehow got changed to 640x480.

When I click System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution, the only choice I see is 640x480.

How can I change the screen resolution to something usable?

I am running OpenSolaris 2009.06 in VirtualBox 3.0.8 on a Fedora 11 host.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Re: Screen Resolution stuck at 640x480

Post by SSCBrian »

That's normal. I've never seen any other option than 640x480 listed in OpenSolaris (even if the screen is actually at a different resolution!). Screen resolution preference is apparently broken/not fully implemented. I can't remember off the top of my head how the resolution is *really* set, and I don't have an OpenSolaris VM setup right now either.

Anyways, if you have the VBox guest additions installed it doesn't matter since those override the setting of the OS. You can resize at will by just changing the window size.
KenJackson
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: WindowsXP, OpenSolaris

Re: Screen Resolution stuck at 640x480

Post by KenJackson »

Thank you SSCBrian.

I prefer to run headless and use the rdesktop interface to display clients. That way I can close the window and log out of my host without shutting down the client, and I can also display it from another computer.

But I was able to adjust the size by using the local interface (non-rdesktop), grabbing the corner with the mouse, stretching the display, and selecting adjust from the machine menu.

Fortunately it stayed in my selected screen size when I shutdown and rebooted in rdesktop mode. But I can't seem to access the machine menu from rdesktop.