guestadditions

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
neimad20
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: solaris 10 and opensolaris

guestadditions

Post by neimad20 »

I d/l'd the solaris 10 cds, installed them in the VB by mounting the ISOs, and everything works fine, I go to try to install the GA and after I reboot the OS, I can't get xorg to work. I'm new at all this and I'm taking my first UNIX course in college right now. I have no idea what I'm doing. If I uninstall GA, S10 works just fine.

Basically the Xerrors tells me that a lot of modules failed to load cuz they don't exists and Xorg can't be started. I don't have anything strange that I can tell. I just got everything from sun's website. Should work shouldn't it?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: guestadditions

Post by Perryg »

Moving to OpenSolaris guest so you can get some support for this.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

neimad20 wrote:I d/l'd the solaris 10 cds, installed them in the VB by mounting the ISOs, and everything works fine, I go to try to install the GA and after I reboot the OS, I can't get xorg to work. I'm new at all this and I'm taking my first UNIX course in college right now. I have no idea what I'm doing. If I uninstall GA, S10 works just fine.

Basically the Xerrors tells me that a lot of modules failed to load cuz they don't exists and Xorg can't be started. I don't have anything strange that I can tell. I just got everything from sun's website. Should work shouldn't it?
Did you do a full install of Solaris, or did you pick and choose components?
neimad20
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: solaris 10 and opensolaris

Post by neimad20 »

I did just straight off the CD ISOs. I wouldn't even know how to pick and choose. The only thing that seemed strange to me was that when I was installing it, I chose no networking b-cuz I couldn't get DNS to go thru. I only did DNS cuz I thought it was what most computers use in a home network. I do basic networking tech support so it seemed logical and I put in the stuff that I knew, but when it didn't work I just went with nothing. I don't even know really except PWD, ls -l, etc. We only started vi last week. SORRY if i don't really have a better answer.

PS. why's this in "OpenSolaris" if i'm doing this in a WinXP Dell? (BTW it's a Lattitude D830 laptop if it matters.)
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

PS. why's this in "OpenSolaris" if i'm doing this in a WinXP Dell? (BTW it's a Lattitude D830 laptop if it matters.)
Because Windows does not use Xorg and the problems you are having is with the Solaris guest.