Vbox 3.0.4 hanging and NAT problems

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
rasta
Volunteer

Vbox 3.0.4 hanging and NAT problems

Post by rasta »

System:

WinXPsp3 32-bit with dual quad core Intel Xeon E5345 processors with VT-x

Solaris 10 u7 guest, 32-bit, with ACPI, PAE/NX, and IO-APIC enabled, 1492 MB RAM allocated

1) Guest hung using SMP with 4 processors. In general, SMP is non-functional with 32-bit Solaris guests on 32-bit WinXP host, leading to severe instability and no apparent speed increases.

2) Guest hung after installing 3.0.4 Solaris Guest additions with only one processor enabled with SMP. Hang occurred while logging off after additions install. After reboot, things appear normal.

3) NAT networking using MT desktop adapter is still slow and intermittent as it has been with Vbox 3+. Using Intel T server adapter, there is no connectivity at all for guest (Solaris cannot establish connection to host).
rasta
Volunteer

Re: Vbox 3.0.4 hanging and NAT problems

Post by rasta »

After installing patches as root and logging off, I got another total hang on logging in as a regular user. Guest configured as in 2) above. Used ACPI shutdown to kill guest. :twisted: :evil:
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

I have only one NAT network adapter enabled.

Speed tests indicate that the NAT problem is not as severe as in 3.0.0-3.0.2, although it is still intermittent. Possibly the guest additions improved my connectivity? My first comment about connectivity was performed prior to additions install.
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

Got a Xorg/GNOME/JDS hang with guest configured as in 2) above after about 10 minutes of general guest use.