Upgrade to 2.2.4 hosed Solaris 10 guest?

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
jjsmithct

Upgrade to 2.2.4 hosed Solaris 10 guest?

Post by jjsmithct »

I was running VBox 2.2.2 on Windows XP host. One of my guests is Solaris 10 u6.

I installed 2.2.4, which initially caused me a few problems - could not use my vpn client, and windows networking was left in a somewhat hosed condition. However after reboot, these problems resolved.

Continuing on, I ran my Solaris 10 guest, which had been in a saved state before the upgrade. It was working ok, but I shut it down in order to test something on reboot.

Now when I start this VM, I immediately get thrown into the GRUB command line. From there - I can't seem to do anything - it seems to be able to see no files. Thinking that maybe it was 2.2.4 related, I uninstalled it, and re-installed 2.2.2. Still the same thing.

I don't know if anyone here has had this problem, or if this is where I'd get help at this point, but I'm looking for some guidance as far as anything I can do from the grub cli in order to find the boot fs on this OS and get it going. It is ZFS boot.

Thanks!
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Upgrade to 2.2.4 hosed Solaris 10 guest?

Post by Sasquatch »

Have you tried some basic GRUB trouble shooting using the web? I know that when installing a Linux system, and your grub is hosed and need to be reinstalled, you first check where the GRUB config is at. You do that with find /boot/grub/stage1. Maybe a reinstall of GRUB will fix it if you actually get a response of found files.

Btw, moving to Solaris Guests, as this is not a Host specific problem.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
jjsmithct

Post by jjsmithct »

Thanks Sasquatch.

I got it back, however not in any sane way. I ran the installer just to quit out and get a console, but still had no access to the disk (just the ramdisk). I poked around a while, and quit out. When I started the VM back up expecting to get grub again, the OS booted. So - something the installer did tweaked it somehow?

Don't like solving problems like that, but at least it's back.

Thanks for you reply. And just in response, yes I spent a bit of time combing the web for answers and looking through the GRUB manuals. Problem was that none of the commands were doing anything - nothing was mounted and it could not access any files at all. All attempts to "find" anything failed. Couldn't load a kernel, or boot...

Thanks again.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Something to think about here. I updated while I had machines in a saved state one time and that was such a mess I have never failed to shut down the guests before an update again. I had 5 out of 19 guests that I had to tweak to get back!
sej7278
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

Perryg wrote:Something to think about here. I updated while I had machines in a saved state one time and that was such a mess I have never failed to shut down the guests before an update again. I had 5 out of 19 guests that I had to tweak to get back!
yes i deleted a snapshot once between upgrades and ended up having to delete the whole vdi including hand-removing the config from virtualbox.xml as the gui could do nothing with it.

there is something a bit iffy about solaris guests still i think, the other day i suddenly had no xorg (was working fine previously even with ga) then upgraded to 2.2.4 and it works again, not sure if it was due to the installer or a coincidence - maybe it would have also been fixed had i booted it again in 2.2.2.... that said, window resizing still kills gnome after a couple of attempts.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

Perryg wrote:Something to think about here. I updated while I had machines in a saved state one time and that was such a mess I have never failed to shut down the guests before an update again. I had 5 out of 19 guests that I had to tweak to get back!
Yep, I noticed that with the 2.x series of VBox too. Back in 1.x days, I was able to upgrade fine with saved sessions, but doing that a couple times in 2.x has resulted in completely trashed VMs! "Don't do that" :-)
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

sej7278 wrote:
yes i deleted a snapshot once between upgrades and ended up having to delete the whole vdi including hand-removing the config from virtualbox.xml as the gui could do nothing with it.

there is something a bit iffy about solaris guests still i think, the other day i suddenly had no xorg (was working fine previously even with ga) then upgraded to 2.2.4 and it works again, not sure if it was due to the installer or a coincidence - maybe it would have also been fixed had i booted it again in 2.2.2.... that said, window resizing still kills gnome after a couple of attempts.
What is your host OS? I haven't seen any weird Solaris guest issues (other than the crashing under 2.2.2 and earlier and the window resizing). Window resizing only kills gnome if I try to shrink a window. As long as I just keep expanding it, no problems.
sej7278
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

SSCBrian wrote:What is your host OS? I haven't seen any weird Solaris guest issues (other than the crashing under 2.2.2 and earlier and the window resizing). Window resizing only kills gnome if I try to shrink a window. As long as I just keep expanding it, no problems.
that's what i'm talking about - if the guest starts with the window maximised and i want to shrink it down to 1024x768 it dies, that's not good enough is it?! fedora10 64-bit host.
jjsmithct

Post by jjsmithct »

Yep, I noticed that with the 2.x series of VBox too. Back in 1.x days, I was able to upgrade fine with saved sessions, but doing that a couple times in 2.x has resulted in completely trashed VMs! "Don't do that" :-)
Point taken. I won't be doing that again.

I also have gnome constantly crashing upon resizing. After powering down all my VM's, I'm going to re-upgrade to 2.2.4 and see how that behaves.